Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Third Person Narrative Structure In Quran

Tagged: ,

• Third Person Narrative Structure In Quran

Posted by Raza Qureshi on September 9, 2024 at 4:38 pm

As Muslims, we believe that the Qur’an is the direct word of Allah. However, when reading the Qur’an, we often find that it is narrated from a third-person point of view. For example, in Surah An-Nur (24:55), the verse says:

*‘Allah has promised those of you who believe and do good that He will certainly make them successors in the land, as He did with those before them.’*

Given that the Qur’an is the word of Allah, one might expect a first-person narrative to be used, such as:

*‘I promise those of you who believe and do good that I will certainly make them successors in the land, as I did with those before you.’*

The third-person narrative structure feels as though someone else is describing Allah, rather than Allah directly speaking. This, to me, raises a question: why does the Qur’an often use the third-person point of view when it is said to be the direct word of Allah? Wouldn’t a first-person narrative seem more logical and direct in certain instances?

I would appreciate any clarification on the reasoning or wisdom behind this narrative style, as I seek to understand how it aligns with the belief that the Qur’an is the direct word of Allah

Umer replied 2 weeks, 5 days ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Third Person Narrative Structure In Quran

Umer updated 2 weeks, 5 days ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar September 9, 2024 at 8:22 pm

This is a classical literary style used in forms like sermons and addresses delivered by a high authority like a king.

In our Urdu literary it is used. The writer writes about himself as a third person. The examples are found in the letters of Ghalib.

بندہ یہ چاہتا ہے

اس خاکسار کی یہ تمنا ہے

ما بدولت کا حکم ہے۔

Also in poetry you can see examples of this style.

• Umer

Moderator September 9, 2024 at 8:29 pm

The message of Quran is divine but the language in which this message is revealed and written is the same which is being spoken by the people of its time along with the stylistic devices known to be a part of any good literature. It is a stylistic device to refer to oneself in the third person which can also be found in some of the old literary works. The practice of referring to oneself in the third person is called Illeism.

Following thread might also be helpful:

Discussion 55740

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register