Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Meaning Of The Word Muakkal (مُؤْكِلَ) In A Hadith Related To 'Riba'

• Meaning Of The Word Muakkal (مُؤْكِلَ) In A Hadith Related To 'Riba'

Posted by Zakir Hossain on September 11, 2024 at 6:20 am

Ghamidi Sb in one of his videos on ‘Riba’ has cited the meaning of the word ‘مُوكِل’ in the Hadith of Sahih Muslim (1598) as the ‘کھلانے والا’ i.e. those who are involved in assisting to fetch customers and not as the person who is giving ‘Riba’. Almost all the Hadith translations mention the meaning of the word ‘مُوكِل’ as the one who is giving Riba. In the dictionary also, the meaning given is ‘client’.

Hence, what is the source of reference, from where the word ‘ مُوكِل’ is used in the meaning as ‘کھلانے والا’? Even if the word can be used in both the sense what is the reason for accepting it in the sense of ‘کھلانے والا’?

Umer replied 1 week, 2 days ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Meaning Of The Word Muakkal (مُؤْكِلَ) In A Hadith Related To 'Riba'

Umer updated 1 week, 2 days ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • Ahsan

Moderator September 11, 2024 at 12:11 pm

Please watch this video. He explained his reasons here

https://youtu.be/FnrN3VTquzQ

• Zakir Hossain

Member September 12, 2024 at 2:21 pm

My question was posted after viewing this video. It is Ghamidi Sb’s principle, that to understand the meaning of a statement, first of all one has to look at the word and understand its most commonly used meaning. If the statement is still not clear then one has to look into the construction of the sentence and then the context. Keeping, this principle in mind I had asked if the معروف meaning of the word ‘مُوكِل’ is a ‘client’, why has the meaning been taken as to mean ‘کھلانے والا’ (feeder) and not otherwise? I am not questioning the logic behind this but restricting my question to the ‘word’ used in this regard.
    Secondly, I repeat once again, does the meaning of the word ‘مُوكِل’ also mean ‘کھلانے والا’? Please clarify and if so, kindly provide a reference.

• Umer

Moderator September 18, 2024 at 9:05 pm

Please refer to the following threads for meaning of the word “Muakkal“:

Discussion 80674

Discussion 1271

__

On a side note, please note that the principle associated with Ghamidi Sahab in the response above i.e. word with its maruf meaning, sentence structure, context etc. is not a primary principle of Ghamidi Sahab when it comes to understanding Hadith. This principle is integral in understanding a structured and an arranged book like Quran. Also, the maruf meaning here refers to the maruf meaning in Arabic of that time, not of today’s.

Hadith however are subject to different principles, when it comes to understanding them. Hadith is understood in the light of Quran first and not independently on the basis of the words used alone. Meaning of words are also important but their importance is not as primary as it is when it comes to unaltered and unamalgamated book of God.

Principles of Understanding Hadith:

Discussion 56230

• Ahsan

Moderator September 12, 2024 at 8:29 pm

@Irfan76 sb please respond to this

• Syed Bukhari

Member September 17, 2024 at 8:45 am

@UmerQureshi @Irfan76 please respond.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register