Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Quran 2:61 – Why Were Bani-Israel Scolded For Asking God For Different Food?

Tagged: ,

• Quran 2:61 – Why Were Bani-Israel Scolded For Asking God For Different Food?

Posted by Amin Ansar on September 11, 2024 at 12:35 pm

Chapter 2 verse 61

And ˹remember˺ when you said, “O Moses! We cannot endure the same meal ˹every day˺. So ˹just˺ call upon your Lord on our behalf, He will bring forth for us some of what the earth produces of herbs, cucumbers, garlic, lentils, and onions.” Moses scolded ˹them˺, “Do you exchange what is better for what is worse? ˹You can˺ go down to any village and you will find what you have asked for.” They were stricken with disgrace and misery, and they invited the displeasure of Allah for rejecting Allah’s signs and unjustly killing the prophets. This is ˹a fair reward˺ for their disobedience and violations.

I don’t feel like I should be scolded or be replied in anger when I ask God for more in life. If I am eating same food everyday and kind of tired of it, and ask God in a polite and grateful manner that although I am highly grateful for what I have, it will be His graciousness that He provides for me more variety of food to enjoy. I see nothing wrong with this

Then why were the children of Israel scolded? Were they asking for more variety of food with a different intention and due to a different reason?

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 2 weeks, 2 days ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Quran 2:61 – Why Were Bani-Israel Scolded For Asking God For Different Food?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar September 11, 2024 at 11:15 pm

This was a unique case for the Bani Israel, who were chosen for the cause of Allah. In the desert, they were undergoing both physical and spiritual training, while also experiencing freedom after enduring severe oppression and persecution under Pharaoh in Egypt. They were spared the time-consuming tasks of cultivation and harvesting. However, instead of appreciating their privileged position, they asked to lower themselves to the ordinary.

This has nothing to do with our desires and needs. The lesson we derive from it is that one should be grateful to God and fulfill one’s duties as required.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register