Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Youth And Islam Definition Of Music

Tagged: 

• Definition Of Music

Posted by Usama Aslam on September 24, 2024 at 10:00 am

Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I have always been intrigued by the arguments put forth by true scholars of Islam who present the true meaning and picture of Islam in light of Qura’an and Sunnah. I have recently been following up on Ghamidi sahib’s lectures and he has given me an intel to so many gems that I might never have discovered.

I am reaching out to you on a very specific issue. This is a very personal experience based question.

In one of his lectures, when asked if ‘Music’ is Haram or Halal, Mr. Ghamidi sahib made a very bold statement that is Halal and gave reference to an Ayat of Qura’an as it is one of the bounties given to human kind.

My concern is when he says it is halal. What music is he referring to? What instrument? I was a music geek for over a decade and came across all types of music and gave up on it as it was leading me to fire (you can say that it is subjective, but I have seen a looooooot of people who resonate with my thinking). Some western non-muslims musicians call the music ‘a doorway to hell‘, when they become Muslim. Which is practically not what Ghamidi sahib is saying.

I want a definition of ‘Music’. Please give me that so I can make up my mind whenever I am talking about music next time or asking anyone to lower the volume. Please help me out as I am seriously struggling with this matter.

Please DO NOT send me a link to a video of his. Give me something to read or give me a definition in response to this email.

Jazak Allahu Khair.

Would be very thankful for your help.
    Kind Regards,

Usama Aslam

Ahsan replied 4 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Definition Of Music

Ahsan updated 4 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • Ahsan

Moderator September 25, 2024 at 1:10 am

Ghamidi Sahib determines what is haram based on Quranic verse 7:33.

According to him, music that promotes vulgarity, shirk (associating partners with God), or indecency is considered haram.

You may find this discussion helpful: Discussion 1150 • Reply 1480.

Additionally, if you’re interested, Ghamidi Sahib has explained everything about music in his 23-part video series, although this content is not yet available in book form.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register