To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Surah Maryam Ayah 18

Tagged: 

• Surah Maryam Ayah 18

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on October 22, 2020 at 8:30 pm

Maryam – 19:18

Arabic

قَالَتۡ إِنِّىٓ أَعُوذُ بِٱلرَّحۡمَٰنِ مِنكَ إِن كُنتَ تَقِيًّا

What does this mean? I seek refuge from God if you are God-conscious. Why the if you are God-conscious. Is there an implication perhaps or a missing line- something like ‘if you fear God then leave me’ or ‘stay away’

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 3 years, 10 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Surah Maryam Ayah 18

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 22, 2020 at 11:18 pm

I seek refuge to God from YOU. And this was possible if that “man” was God conscious or have fear of God. By hearing the name of God he would desist from doing anything indecent.

One possibility was that God Himself gave her a special protection from the evil of man and the other was that man desist himself from doing anything bad for God’s sake. This is also a refuge God has provided to people under His name.

Oath too is of that kind. We ask people to regard their oaths and covenant in the name of God.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 23, 2020 at 8:42 am

‘And this was possible if that “man” was God conscious or have fear of God.’

Why is there a condition being placed on seeking refuge in God? If he was God fearing there was no need to seek refuge.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar October 24, 2020 at 5:19 am

Language doesn’t follow logical reasoning. It is a sudden expression and has its own implications

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register