Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam The Shank Will Be Entwined With The Shank- Quran 75:29

Tagged: 

• The Shank Will Be Entwined With The Shank- Quran 75:29

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on October 23, 2020 at 2:30 pm

and the shank will embrace the shank.20 On that Day, towards your Lord is the departure. (26-30)<div>Is this similar to the ayah of where it says the shin will be uncovered 68:42. Sotheby’s idiom bearing that even decent women run by lifting their clothes and showing their shanks. So is this perhaps an idiom of them showing shanks and running? (To show terror)</div><div>Ghamidi sahab just says it shows weakness</div>

Umer replied 3 years, 12 months ago 2 Members · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • The Shank Will Be Entwined With The Shank- Quran 75:29

Umer updated 3 years, 12 months ago 2 Members · 10 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator October 23, 2020 at 4:36 pm

Kindly re-check your reference. Is this Surah Takwir?

Its better to write the chapter numbers and verse numbers as well.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 23, 2020 at 4:39 pm

Oh sorry it’s surah qiyamah 75:29

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 23, 2020 at 4:40 pm

I don’t know what happened for the typos but what I meant to say was:

The idiom used in 68:42 shows that women who are decent run, showing their shins/shanks. Is the quote in 75:29 also the same idiom but showing that the shanks are running so they seem entwined. Because Ghamidi sahab says it shows agony but how?

• Umer

Moderator October 23, 2020 at 5:55 pm

According to Ghamidi Sahab, the idom used in 68:42 is ’یَوْمَ یُکْشَفُ عَنْ سَاقٍ‘ , which as an idiom refers to agony derived from literal situation of agony where even decent women raise their ankle coverings to run. However, 75:29 is referring to powerlessness and weakness that one won’t be able to do anything about this situation, the wordings are different here وَالْتَفَّتِ السَّاقُ بِالسَّاقِ , its not the same idiom from what I have gathered.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 23, 2020 at 5:57 pm

So how do shanks being entwined show agony or powerlessness

• Umer

Moderator October 23, 2020 at 6:09 pm

If you take it as idiom in 68:42 as explained by Ghamidi Sahab, then this is how idioms work, they extract the essence of a literal meaning and apply it on general situations i.e. it is agony which causes those women to run.

The second one 75:29 could be referring to the kind of powerlessness and weakness where one gives-in to a situation after realizing that there is no way out now as hinted in verses 75:27-28.

These both could be seen as a gradual decline from extreme agony to giving-in to the situation realizing one’s weakness and powerlessness.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 23, 2020 at 6:11 pm

Yes the 68:42 is clear.

Sure if you say 75:29 refers to that ok. But how? What does shanks having entwined have to do with agony? It just doesn’t seem like a normal thing to say in English so it must have some Arabic meaning

• Umer

Moderator October 23, 2020 at 6:15 pm

I don’t think 75:29 is referring to agony, it is referring to powerlessness and weakness after realizing that this is it. Read it in conjunction with 75:27-28

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor October 23, 2020 at 6:19 pm

Yes sure 👍

But how does the phrase ‘the shank will be tied with the shank’ add to this or explain it or describe it? What is the imagery created by using this sentence?

• Umer

Moderator October 23, 2020 at 6:31 pm

Imagery of powerlessness, inability to move any further, seeing the end of the road, thus bringing an end to all the agony that happened in the beginning.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register