Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions Manto's Work

• Manto's Work

Posted by Noman Waris on January 18, 2021 at 12:14 pm

I know that we should discuss ideas rather than personalities but i wanted know that what are the things that ONE should consider before presenting/writing/portraying social issues?

After reading Manto’s work and historical events, i can say that those issues were societal realities not some fictional accounts.

How to tackle social issues, which are considered taboo, through literature/dramas/films by limiting ourselves in the boundaries of ISLAM?

P.S : “Zindagi tamasha” is the latest example which discusses child abuse in madrassas but it is banned in PAKISTAN.

Noman Waris replied 3 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Manto's Work

Noman Waris updated 3 years, 9 months ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar January 19, 2021 at 11:48 am

Literature has its own merits which are not common man’s merits to look at good, bad, obscene or indecent. Only a good literary taste can judge a piece of art to be good or bad, decent or obscene. It is the discretion of the artist to decide what liberty he can takes in highlighting an issue. It cannot be defined by rules.

• Noman Waris

Member January 20, 2021 at 1:55 am

Just to clarify, if public deems something profane in literature then it does not mean that it is actually profane. The sole responsibility lies on artist, if he consider something obscene then it will be obscene?

Then there is no need for censorship?

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register