Forums Forums General Discussions Opening Oaths Of Surah Fajr

• Opening Oaths Of Surah Fajr

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on January 19, 2021 at 10:00 pm

This refers to surah 89.

The oaths I want to bring into discussion are

وليال عشر

And

والشفع والوتر

If we see the end of this surah- God says إرجعي إلي ربك. It is as though when we say لبيك in hajj, it is an answer to this call of God. Then God says راضية مرضية – once you have done hajj your sins are forgiven and you come satisfied and satisfying. Then فادخلي في عبادي is a call to enter into the slaves of God for hajj- that is the time when enter into a massive gathering of the servants of God. Then there is وادخلي جنتي – this is the end result of what happens after hajj.

Al-Baqarah – 2:203

Arabic

وَٱذۡكُرُواْ ٱللَّهَ فِىٓ أَيَّامٍ مَّعۡدُودَٰتٍۚ فَمَن تَعَجَّلَ فِى يَوۡمَيۡنِ فَلَآ إِثۡمَ عَلَيۡهِ وَمَن تَأَخَّرَ فَلَآ إِثۡمَ عَلَيۡهِۚ لِمَنِ ٱتَّقَىٰۗ وَٱتَّقُواْ ٱللَّهَ وَٱعۡلَمُوٓاْ أَنَّكُمۡ إِلَيۡهِ تُحۡشَرُونَ

The شفع والوتر here seem to be referring to either the nights of Mina (as shown in the ayah above)- you can stay an even day or odd day. Another interpretation could be that the most important day is highlighted- the even days are the whole of hajj- the 10 days- and since arafah is the most important day of hajj- and it is the 9th (it is odd) it is being highlighted here.

This is an adaptation of Nouman Ali Khan’s views that I have heard on his paid app so I can’t share the actual video.

@Irfan76

Ahmad Shoaib replied 3 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Opening Oaths Of Surah Fajr

Ahmad Shoaib updated 3 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor January 19, 2021 at 10:02 pm

Furthermore- the very next surah is surah balad. Surah balad talks about the special nature of the land where hajj is done. The surah before then could easily be seen as showing the special nature of the time it is being done

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor January 19, 2021 at 10:17 pm

هل في ذلك قسم لذي حجر

Allah here sarcastically asks the quraysh that they took this oath of hajj that was supposed to make them people of حجر – those people who’s intellect has a restraint in it; emotions and vain desires do not affect it.

Then God starts to mention previous nations and it is known that God destroyed them.

This can be taken as a warning to quraysh to restore the hajj and stop doing shirk- as the hajj has been referred to in the previous ayaat in the oaths

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor January 19, 2021 at 10:18 pm

@Irfan76

For ليال عشر – is it معرفة او نكرة? I think it’s indefinite right? Does that mean it can’t actually be referring to hajj- or could it still refer to hajj even though it is indefinite?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar January 19, 2021 at 10:51 pm

Bringing in the idea of Hajj in sura al Fair seems very far fetched.

However grammatically there is no hindrance cindering common noun referring to some specific thing. It is also used to signify or make something insignificant.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor January 19, 2021 at 10:53 pm

Yes I think every other oath except وليال عشر perhaps wouldn’t conform to that idea as I ponder more and more

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register