Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Choosing A Name For Oneself

• Choosing A Name For Oneself

Posted by Umair Ahmed on February 9, 2021 at 6:23 am

Assalam u Alaikum everyone 😇I had read a Hadith where beloved Prophet cursed on those who named themselves other than their father’s name.My father name was Sanaullah Sandhu and my name is Umair Ahmed.Is there any issue as my name doesn’t contain my father’s name but I proclaim him as my father and my id card also show him as my father and people also know.Please help😬

Umair Ahmed replied 3 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Choosing A Name For Oneself

Umair Ahmed updated 3 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • Ahsan

Moderator February 9, 2021 at 7:00 am

Walikumaslam
    Its better to share reference while quoting hadith or Quran to understand the context.
    Did you name yourself?
    Btw there is no issue. you just need to preserve your family tree

• Umair Ahmed

Member February 9, 2021 at 10:54 am

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever calls himself by other than his fathers name (or attributes himself to someone other than his father), will be cursed by Allaah, the angels and all the people.” (Reported by Ibn Maajah, 2599; see also Saheeh al-Jaami, 6104).

Call them (adopted sons) by the names of their fathers” [al-Ahzaab 33:5].

• Umair Ahmed

Member February 9, 2021 at 10:56 am

In context to above mentioned verses is there need for me to attach my father’s name in my name?

In my id my father’s name is mentioned,I proclaim my father as mine and everyone knows also,so is there still a need or fard for me to add my father’s name?

I was given this name by my parents “Umair Ahmed”,this is my complete name while my father’s complete name is Sanaullah Sandhu

• Ahsan

Moderator February 9, 2021 at 12:15 pm

The hadeeth and ayah you refered is actually about protecting lineage. It has nothing to do with the name not containing father name.

Refer to this thread for understanding hadeeth literature
    Discussion 21789
    Discussion 1042

• Umair Ahmed

Member February 9, 2021 at 1:30 pm

Thanks @Aj-khan bhai

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register