Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Does Assigning Attributes Or Being To God Limit God?

Tagged: 

• Does Assigning Attributes Or Being To God Limit God?

Posted by Javed on November 4, 2022 at 6:54 pm

I have a confusion regarding the description of an absolute creator. Rationale says god should be infinite. Doesn’t defining the attributes of god or assigning a being to him basically limit god? Logically, God should possess infinite possibilities which sometimes come forth as his creations i.e in the form of the universe and human beings.

Additionally, limiting god leaves the possibility of an even greater creator as such a limited god doesn’t account for all possible realities i.e the buck doesn’t stop at him. Also, as muslims one of the major motives to attain heaven is the freedom or being allowed by god to explore/create at will (of course with his sanction), as described in the Quran as ‘khuda ki abdi badshahi mai shirkat.’ This limitedness also puts a question mark on that.

Hope i got my confusion across.
    Thanks.

Faisal Haroon replied 1 year, 5 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Does Assigning Attributes Or Being To God Limit God?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 4, 2022 at 8:22 pm

We don’t assign attributes or being to God by our own desire. We only enumerate and explain God’s attributes as we have been informed about by God Himself. Anything that is not a being is just an abstract concept, but God has told us that He actually exists and has created this universe. Abstract concepts do not have any causal powers. This does not limit God in any way.

• Javed

Member November 5, 2022 at 1:20 am

Ok thanks.
      However, I still have a confusion regarding the concept of infinity, you could counter this by saying that god isn’t infinite however quran says ‘khuda ki qudrat har cheez ka ahata kiye hoe hai aur uska ilm har cheez ka ahata kiye hoe hai’. I guess this includes everything that is and everything that isn’t.
      Maybe this is just because we can’t fully comprehend god in this life. Or is this a part of the actual being of god which we’re told we can’t comprehend.

Thanks.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator November 5, 2022 at 10:29 am

Human intellect is limited. Neither can we comprehend infinity nor can we comprehend God. Therefore we can’t rationally compare or draw parallels between two concepts that we do not fully understand.

As far as God, we only know some of His attributes as well as His practices. It’s quite natural for questions to arise in our heads regarding God, but we should always limit our understanding of God to only those things that we know with certitude. For the rest of our questions, we should be content in admitting that we do not know and we have no way of finding out. Guessing about those things that we have no way to verify tends to lead us astray by instilling false beliefs in our minds.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register