Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Quran 33:41-42 & 20:14 – Different Uses For The Same Word Dhikr

Tagged: , , ,

• Quran 33:41-42 & 20:14 – Different Uses For The Same Word Dhikr

Posted by Abdur Rahman on February 17, 2023 at 7:56 am

As’salamualaykum,

O you who believe! Remember Allah with much remembrance and glorify Him early and late.

(Surat al-Ahzaab, 33:41,42)

The above is regarding doing dhikrullah morning and evening. I am guessing the dhikr a person does after fajr and maghrib namaz. This is nafl dhikr

Versus

“Verily, I am Allah! There is no God but Me, so worship Me, and perform Salah for My remembrance.”

Surah Ta-Ha (20:14) – These are the five times daily obligatory prayer.

Why are we taking different rulings i.e one is obligatory and one is nafl from the word dhikr in both these verses ?

Jazakallahu Khaira

Umer replied 1 year, 1 month ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Quran 33:41-42 & 20:14 – Different Uses For The Same Word Dhikr

Umer updated 1 year, 1 month ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • Abdur Rahman

Member February 17, 2023 at 10:42 am

+++

2. Why same word dhikr is having 2 different meanings in these 2 verses ?

• Umer

Moderator February 22, 2023 at 9:11 am

Quran 33:41 talks about remembering Allah in General and this is something which could be done through means other than Salah as well. But Quran 33:42 then goes into specific and talks about Salah. Remembering God in the morning and evening (early and late) is referring to Salah here. Use of term like morning and evening comprehensively covers all the Salah timings.

Quran 20:14 has used the specific word Salah for rememberance (i.e. وَ اَقِمِ الصَّلٰوۃَ لِذِکۡرِیۡ). Similarly, Quran 20:130 has also used different Salah timings for Tasbih of Allah.

Primarily, it is Salah which has been sanctioned by prophets to remember Allah. Means other than Salah are also rememberance, but Salah holds a very special place when it comes to remembering Allah and getting emotional help when patience is required from a Muslim.

To understand the reality and spirit if Zikr, please also refer to the following response by Ghamidi Sahab:

Discussion 40348 • Reply 40376

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register