Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Buying A Course On Installments

Tagged: ,

• Buying A Course On Installments

Posted by Saif Eman on May 5, 2023 at 2:44 pm

Assalamualaikum

I want to buy a course on Installments. But they are Charing a markup of 10% on instalments as compared to original value. The doubt here is that, according to the mortgage system, the seller charges rent plus the value of the thing to be bought. But here, there can’t be any rent, according to me, as it’s an online course. Will it fall under interest or riba if I pay the mark-up on Installments?

Kindly guide me on the above issue.

Expecting a response soon.

Jazak Allah

Umer replied 10 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Buying A Course On Installments

Umer updated 10 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • Umer

Moderator May 7, 2023 at 12:37 am

Demanding profit on loan is Riba (Sood) and is Haram in Sharia.

In this particular arrangement, there is no loan transaction, rather a course is being sold in installments and for deferred payment of this service (the course being sold), they are charging extra. There is no element of riba in this transaction.

Secondly, the concept of copyrights in the software world has given them a similar status as to ownership of a tangible property. Therefore, using a course with rights still not fully transferred may very well create a situation similar to rent; where you will be paying for using intellectual property of the institution without having complete rights to use it.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register