Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Damm (penalty), Footwear, Sunglasses, Toothpaste During Hajj

Tagged: 

• Damm (penalty), Footwear, Sunglasses, Toothpaste During Hajj

Posted by Mohsin Ali on June 25, 2023 at 10:56 pm

Assalam O Aleikum WRWB,

I have several questions.

1. What things can cause “dam” (Penalty) in Hajj? And

2. Shoes restrictions? What kind should it be?

3. Can you wear watch or sunglasses in Hajj?

4. Can toothpaste be used in Ihram Hajj days?

Jazak Allah

Best regards

Mohsin Ali

Mohsin Ali replied 1 year, 2 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Damm (penalty), Footwear, Sunglasses, Toothpaste During Hajj

Mohsin Ali updated 1 year, 2 months ago 2 Members · 4 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator June 27, 2023 at 2:58 am

1. This is a matter of ijtihad of scholars and no such exhaustive list is available in Quran and Sunnah. According to Ghamidi Sahab, if one is unable to perfom an obligatory ritual of Hajj because of some unforseen circumstances, then a Qurbani should be offered.

Please refer to the link below from 24:04 to 37:50

ilm-o-Hikmat 11-09-2016

2 & 4. During ‘ihram‘ pilgrims will not indulge in lewd talk; they will not use any adornments, for example perfume; they will not pare their nails nor shave or cut any body hair; they will not even remove any dirt or filth from them so much so they will not even kill any lice of their body; they will not hunt preys nor wear stitched cloth; they will expose their heads, faces and the upper part of their feet; they will wear one sheet as loin cloth and enfold another around themselves. Women, however, can even wear stitched clothes and cover their heads and feet. They are only required to expose their hands and faces. (There is no explicit prohibition of cleaning teeth via toothpaste and/or toothbrush).

3. Yes, they can be worn. (Please see: Discussion 84261)

• Mohsin Ali

Member June 28, 2023 at 10:18 am

Jazak Allah dear Umer Qureshi Bhai,

A few more questions:

1. On 10th dhul Hajj, after throwing stones on Jamarat ul kubra, I and my mother came back to our hotel close to Haram. We haven’t done tawaf or sai yet. Do we have to go back to Mina and stay there for two more nights and do rajam?

Is staying at Mina on 11th and 12th Dhul hajj compulsory for every Hajji?

2. Ammi is not feeling too well. She can barely walk. Do I have to take her to Mina as well or can she stay at Haram hotel while I perform the rajam ritual on her behalf?

3. Can I perform the rajam ritual on her behalf?

4. What time can I do rajam? If I leave at tahajjud from Mina to Jamarat and do fajor prayer somewhere close to Jamarat. After fajir prayer I stone the Jamarat and return to Mina to avoid walking in the sunlight. Would that be ok?

Jazak allah hul khair. Allah aap ko boht boht ajar de aap ki mehnat aur madad ka.

• Umer

Moderator July 2, 2023 at 11:02 pm

1. On 10th of ZulHajja, After leaving for Mina (from Muzdalifah), pilgrims should stop reciting the talbiyah and pelt seven stones at Jamrah Aqabah. Then after performing animal sacrifice and shaving of the head or hair cut (women should cut a small tuft from the end of their hair), pilgrims can take off their ihram. After that, the pilgrims should set off for the Baytullah and offer the tawaf. With this, all restrictions which the ihram entails shall be lifted. After that, if a pilgrim wants, he can offer the sai of the Safa and the Marwah – though this is optional.

Then they should go back to Mina and stay there for two or three days and then everyday pelt first the first Jamrah, then the middle one and then the last one with seven stones each. In case of a genuine reason, one can opt not to stay at Mina and can also choose to hurl the stones of the two/three days on one day after hurling stones on the day of sacrifice.

When certain shepherds of the area asked permission to spend the night with their herds instead of spending it at Mina, the Prophet (sws) allowed them to do so and said that after hurling pebbles on the day of sacrifice, they can hurl the pebbles of the two days on one day. (Source: https://sunnah.com/abudawud:1975 AND https://sunnah.com/abudawud:1976).

2 & 3. Your mother can opt the solution of pelting all the stones on one day for all the days of Tashriq as mentioned in point 1 above. In worst case scenario, you can perform rami on behalf of your mother.

4. There is no time fixed for that, one can opt any time which suits them. However, following is the Uswa of the Prophet (SWS) in this regard:

The Prophet (sws) did rami at mid-morning on the day of sacrifice and on the other days when the sun started to decline. For this, he faced the Jamrah with the Sacred Mosque on His left and Mina on his right. Then he hurled seven stones and recited the takbir each time he threw a stone. He also did waquf (the ceremonial stand) near the first two Jamrahs and after rami expressing his gratitude to God, declaring His exaltedness and oneness and invoking and beseeching Him for long. However, he did not stand near the Jamrah-i Aqabah.

_____

The point regarding toothpaste and toothbrush above has been amended.

(P.S. My sincere apologies for a late response. I am not sure if this is of any help to you anymore)

• Mohsin Ali

Member July 6, 2023 at 12:20 pm

Jazak allah dear Umer bhai for your time and sincere effort. Allah may grant you what you seek in life and the life after.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register