Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions Refraining From Action Of Sin With Intention Of Worldly Things

• Refraining From Action Of Sin With Intention Of Worldly Things

Posted by Mohammad Ali Soomro on February 12, 2024 at 10:23 am

Hello there,

My question is that in Islam we are told not indulge in sin and to avoid sin. so avoiding a sin is religious command.

So if a person who used to do some Haram thing. at one instance was about to commit a Haram act like say bad words to someone. but then he immediately stopped because he realized that of I say bad words to this man, his father being a big man will get me beaten, his only intention for stopping this action was to avoid himself getting beaten up. So he avoided the action of cursing (which was sin), only to avoid getting beaten. would this be shirk? or shirkiya behavior of Riyakari, when he was commanded by Allah to avoid this action, but he did not avoid this for Allah at all and only for to avoid getting beaten. would this be a shirkiya behavior?

or it would be a simple occurrence and the man avoiding that action would neither receive reward nor punishment. no punishment because the sin did not take place. and no reward because he did not stop due to fear of Allah’s displeasure.

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 3 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Refraining From Action Of Sin With Intention Of Worldly Things

Dr. Irfan Shahzad updated 3 months ago 2 Members · 5 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar February 13, 2024 at 5:47 am

The second understanding is correct.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member February 13, 2024 at 8:07 am

@Irfan76 sir there’s a concept I wanted to understand. I’ll be using a made up scenario just for understanding. if there’s was a command of Allah, which was not a worship ritual but a generic action which Allah commanded to do. if Allah had commanded obligatorily to eat an apple everyday.

case 1 – a person eats it one day in front of people to show off his farmanbardari towards Allah that people say “oh what a pious Muslim he is, He is eating apple with intention of fulfilling Allah’s command”. this would be Riya.

case 2 – a person who was not doing this action normally. he was offered a challenge by his atheist friend (who isn’t aware of this ruling of İslam). his athiest friend challenged him to finish an apple in a minute and he’ll give him 100rs. just as a generic challenge. if the person eats it then only for this money, which he is earning on his action of “eating an apple”, which is not a worship ritual. (HIS FRIEND IS NOT GIVING HIM MONEY FOR HIS OBEDIENCE TO ALLAH , OR HIS INTENTIONS TO PLEASE ALLAH OR EATING IT FOR ALLAH). So would he be doing RiyaKari type shirk??

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar February 13, 2024 at 10:41 pm

we can deal with real examples only. Imaginary ones contain inherent flaws in such cases.

• Mohammad Ali Soomro

Member February 13, 2024 at 11:06 pm

@Irfan76 sir real example would be if ahmad said to Ali that if you give me your book to study I will get you a pizza someday as a treat ,which becomes like a promise. ones the promise is made, Allah has made it obligatory command to fulfill it.

Now after Ali dropped him home. Ahmad after sometime remembered his promise. he was being lazy and was almost thinking to not give him pizza (as it’s a little costly). but then he realized that as this commitment has created a hope in Ali to receive pizza. if now I don’t give him pizza, he’s gonna be displeased with me and then he’ll be pushed away from me and maybe in future won’t help me in any matter or won’t do my works. so here Ahmad’s main motive to give him pizza was to only to avoid those bad things and secure a state between them by which Ali would keep helping Ahmad in future. would this be shirkiya riyakari?

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar February 15, 2024 at 12:39 am

Things which are done for multiple purposes can be done for multiple intentions. This is not like worship rituals.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register