Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Benefit Of Doubt To Sufferers Of OCD

Tagged: ,

• Benefit Of Doubt To Sufferers Of OCD

Posted by Habiba Zafar on June 14, 2024 at 9:39 am

I have a family member whom I know very well….She is suffering from OCD with medications since a long time…She is better now and she is also taking counselling from therapists….She is better now….

The issue is that a long time ago, when she was suffering from severe OCD, in the beggining, she made soo many God Promises and Oaths to Allah which seems to be like a compulsion…Now she is confuded whether she did those trillions of promises before the starting of her OCD or after the OCD started…just as a psychology student I want yo inform that as much as I have studied her case her OCD is genetic and OCD is a neurodivergent disorder and there’s a possiblity that her themes of OCD changed from Relationship OCD to Religious OCD(scrupulosity) and she was OCD patient from her early teens…

What should she do if she is doubtful about the promises she did because she was young at that time, didn’t know that not fullfilling the promises requires expiation, and plus it’s not clear whether dhe did because if OCD or not…

Can we give her a benefit if doubt that maybe it was her OCD compulsion why she did that, because those promises are many…f

Habiba Zafar replied 1 week, 4 days ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • Benefit Of Doubt To Sufferers Of OCD

Habiba Zafar updated 1 week, 4 days ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator June 14, 2024 at 10:51 pm

If it can be established either medically or as an incontestable fact (a well known fact) that such oaths/promises were done under compulsion because of the OCD then the person will be excused from fulfilling those oaths and hopefully God will also take this factor into account.

Please see for details:

Discussion 88757

Additionally, committing such acts unintentionally without knowing the expiation also becomes a ground for relaxation. if the disobedience is unintentional, God will not hold a person accountable. His law is that if a person commits a misdeed unintentionally, He will not punish him. While stating a directive about adopted sons, the Quran says:

وَلَيْسَ عَلَيْكُمْ جُنَاحٌ فِيمَا أَخْطَأْتُم بِهِ وَلَكِن مَّا تَعَمَّدَتْ قُلُوبُكُمْ وَكَانَ اللَّهُ غَفُورًا رَّحِيمًا

And the mistake you have made in this matter shall be forgiven, but in what your hearts make an intention shall not be forgiven. God is Ever-Forgiving and Ever-Merciful. (Quran 33:5)

• Habiba Zafar

Member June 15, 2024 at 2:41 am

Thank You Very Much.

JazakAllah.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register