Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Confused In Job Decision Regarding Unethical Practices Of An Industry

• Confused In Job Decision Regarding Unethical Practices Of An Industry

Posted by Rehman Ali on June 23, 2024 at 6:53 pm

I want to know if someone is from the industry where he knows a bad practice is prevalent, like giving services for Trade mark, and then manipulating and sucking out money from the clients in some ways. This is like you can say 30% in some companies, or maybe 40 or 20 percent, not sure. The main industry is IT services, where software solutions, mobile apps, website design and development and marketing and branding services are offered. These are the main services. but as I said, we got to know that some of bad work are also being done.

He wants to leave this industry but has not gotten any other job yet.

What if he is about to get sacked because of downsizing, and he gets a good job offer from another company, which also be doing the same work. so, will his earnings be haram?

His job will be Brand Manager, like creating brands from the scratch, checking up content and approving designs and all. social media profiles, task given to sales agents, targets etc.

So, by working in the new company, will his income be haram if he worked on Trade Mark work or works which are not right? What should he do in this case? should he decline the job offer and for now stay at home and start searching for jobs in other sectors?

Correction: I want to add this point that, NOT ALL companies do such work in the sector I talked about. it will be GUnaah and BOHTAn to say it. I should have written that a few companies which I know are doing it. Just a few. and I am not sure about many others. my knowledge about that is not vast, neither I took interest in knowing it.. So, there are better ones which I am sure doing sincere and good work, in which I did not get to work. . I can repost the question if I made confusion. please let me know.

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 2 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Confused In Job Decision Regarding Unethical Practices Of An Industry

Dr. Irfan Shahzad updated 2 months, 3 weeks ago 3 Members · 12 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar June 25, 2024 at 4:38 am

If your job entails no unethical acts it is halal. What the organisation does with its customers is not your responsibility.

• Rehman Ali

Member June 25, 2024 at 9:32 am

Jazakallahu Khairan. But brother, is it not like, as given example by people, giving a stair to thieves to do their work? The confusion is because the person doesn’t want to be part of any scam or bad practice. But, don’t know if dropping job offer is right at the time of no job option., or what should a person do.? can you explain or stretch your answer a bit further? May ALLAH reward you for this.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar June 26, 2024 at 7:01 am

Stealing is a universal crime. In your case the business itself is halal. It is the conduct of the company which is objectionable. This is their part, not your responsibly. There is hardly any organisation which is completely fair. The responsibility of the employer is to do his with honestly.

• $ohail T@hir

Moderator June 26, 2024 at 5:49 pm

Attempt 2: What is the ruling on working for a military that is corrupt to the core and its only aim is to watch out interests of Western eatablishment?

Will I get naikis if I lay down my life for this typa corrupt military, knowing fasaad is all they care for.

• Rehman Ali

Member June 27, 2024 at 1:00 am

@irfan76 okay brother. Then I will join the company, jazak ALLAH brother. bohot shukriya…

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar June 27, 2024 at 10:58 pm

Correction. The responsibility of the employee…… With honesty.

• Rehman Ali

Member July 5, 2024 at 4:40 pm

@Irfan76 I did not get your last response quite well. means responsibility of me in what? Also, there’s one more thing, that is it halaal we keep on working in a company where, they say “oh we will ofcourse urge clients to take this service and create a fear element, and this is how things get done”, so, what should the employee do? if the employee helps them in their work, and later company grows further, will the sin be distributed with employee as well? In a way, that he was only concerned about his earning and did not leave the company… please answer…

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar July 5, 2024 at 11:42 pm

If you are directly involved in the actions of intimidating people which has no justification on ethical grounds then you should not do that job.

If your job is to do other stuff then it is not your responsibility what your employer does with his clients.

Usually the situation is not as bad You seem perceiving. Sometime companies have to take some measure to ensure on time payments. There is a great competition between the companies they cannot afford to offend their clients.

• Rehman Ali

Member July 8, 2024 at 6:14 am

@Irfan76 and others, please reply as today the person has to take the decision. Let me open the question. The company is offering Trade Mark and USTPO service. Many companies in Pakistan have been closed because of scam, providing fake filings and other illegal practice, say offering low cost service at first, and then asking for more money in the name of upsell: read it here: https://www.worldtrademarkreview.com/data/wtr-investigation-exclusives/wtr-investigation-exclusives/article/uspto-users-targeted-in-massive-fraud-and-money-laundering-case-in-pakistan

Now, again, I would like to ask, what if this person keeps husn-e-zann, and works for this company, establish brands, later he finds out that this company is also doing the same thing, then will there be gunnah on him? should he just leave the job right now, or he should not?

• Rehman Ali

Member July 8, 2024 at 3:50 pm

Adding this information: The company’s VP saying that they are properly doing work, filing client’s trademark instead of taking money and running away, or doing some bad practices. They said they will run PPC (search ads campaign) and the clients would come to us, instead of we go to them with foul plans. Also, clients who took logos from us, we will offer them this service to register their business, and trademark and all.

Now, should this employee take these words and start working on this kind of business? or should he listen to the doubts coming in his heart? What Islam says/recommends in this?

Note: the employee work will only be creating brands (websites and their content) and landing pages for marketing campaigns. Not going on calls or do any other work.

• Rehman Ali

Member July 8, 2024 at 10:24 pm

I just came across this point “First, the Respondents are not a law firm, nor does it employ attorneys, so it was not authorized to file trademark applications in the first place.” ref: https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/following-massive-scam-5-550-trademark-6348167/

I don’ think so this company also has attorney and is certainly not a law firm. What should be done now?

I request when anwering, please give a detailed reply considering what a man should do in this stage when he has currently no other job, or father not understanding this etc.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar July 9, 2024 at 12:21 am

We give the principle opinion. Now the questioner has to decide in the light of the principles that he should join the company or not.

Business is done for profit. Different strategies are adopted to earn money. Initial incentives are needed to gain the space and then the price of the services is increased. There is no objection to it. if the company is a fraud, you never know. all you have to do is render your service if you think the company is doing a halal business, and let the company do its business, which is not your concern.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register