Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia The Need To Belong To A Specific School Of Thought

• The Need To Belong To A Specific School Of Thought

Posted by Taiba on July 6, 2024 at 11:56 am

Assalamu Alaikum,

I have always been concerned about a question pertaining to existing/accepted schools of thought within the sphere of Islam.

Why is there a need for me as a Muslim to follow or accept an interpretation of a specific school of thought while those who formed these schools or interpretations were/are mere humans and I should not be basing my life’s religious matters into their understanding of their time. Since their teachings and interpretations related to everything within the Qur’an and Sunnah were structured within their world view of their times, how is it feasible for me to follow them in 2024? I am not denying that the teaching of the Quran are not timeless, however, there could be debate about Hadith being timeless because we have the existence of fabricated, weak and unacceptable Hadith as well.

Isn’t it a better approach to understand tafsir and Hadith as it is on simple translation, and leave all complicated matters on one’s own wise understanding of the world?

Taiba replied 2 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • The Need To Belong To A Specific School Of Thought

Taiba updated 2 months, 3 weeks ago 2 Members · 2 Replies
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar July 7, 2024 at 2:25 am

There is no restriction or demand to follow a specific school of through. A Muslim should try to understand the arguments and decide honestly.

• Taiba

Member July 7, 2024 at 3:45 pm

Thank you. Makes sense.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register