Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Prioritizing Zakat Spending Between Government Taxes And Family Relatives

Tagged: ,

• Prioritizing Zakat Spending Between Government Taxes And Family Relatives

Posted by Usman Ali on July 8, 2024 at 5:10 am

Salam!
    I am a salaried individual. Based on my understanding of the Quran and Sunnah, I am required to pay 10% Zakat on my salary. However, I am not paying taxes to the government because my relatives and siblings are in need of financial support for their basic needs. If I pay taxes or Zakat to the government, it is highly unlikely that the government will provide for my relatives.

Currently, I am in a position where I can only afford to pay Zakat to either my needy relatives or the government, but not both. I am already spending more than 16% of my income to support my siblings and relatives, making it impossible to also pay taxes to the government. Should I continue using my Zakat to support my relatives, or must I pay it to the government instead? If I pay the government, my siblings will struggle to meet their basic needs, including food, health, and housing.
    P.s. My siblings are all married and are not living with me.

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 2 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Prioritizing Zakat Spending Between Government Taxes And Family Relatives

Dr. Irfan Shahzad updated 2 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar July 8, 2024 at 6:58 pm

If the government doesn’t not insist, and you avoid them without violating the laws, you can spend your zakat on your relatives.

However, compulsory taxes are unavoidable. We pay taxes on utilities, GST, property tax etc. They can also be counted as zakat.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register