Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Causal Determinism

• Causal Determinism

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar July 24, 2024 at 2:39 am

Free will works within the given parameters of determinism. We are free to make choices from the given limited options and possibilities.

• Javed

Member July 24, 2024 at 6:27 am

So are we like robots or characters in a video game that have possibility to choose between one out of two or three different options and everything else is predicted by sciences like physics (and even psychology which at this point has become a fruitful science), this according to me results in a very grim and dark reality where i am subservient to these chains of causality. And on some level i am not even ready to accept this fact psychologically which affects my ability to study science because that requires a pre-requisite belief in physicalism.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar July 25, 2024 at 5:25 am

We can see ourselves, we are not robots, we choose, and then we can change our choices, we wish, regret, and sacrifice our choices, and this can be done only with free will. This is what it is. Man cannot wish to eat grass or live without water. These choices are not for him. If man had been free to make such choices too, he would have had him killed. Therefore, determinism is necessary to make free will productive.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register