Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions Ruh ( Surah Hijr )

• Ruh ( Surah Hijr )

Posted by Taimur Mughal on August 10, 2024 at 1:20 pm

My q is ;

In surah al hijr verse 29 ; God says that when He has fashioned adam and blew in him His Spirit …

While I read and searched upon internet and got to read many opinions about it that it is referring to created spirit or referring to spirit of Adam etc but then I get the question ;

Everyhing is created by God and it’s His anyway so He didn’t say He fashioned His earth or clay and then blew

In this verse He specifically mentioned it in such a way that leaves the reader or listener no doubt that God gave from His spirit to Adam.

But then how can God give a part of HImself to a being? Wouldn’t that be shirk?

Some may say because He wanted to share His spirit so it’s not shirk anymore. But then this is going a little against surah ikhlaas as well.

So this spirit ; is this a part of Allah in us because He decided to give us this? ( Which I have hard time accepting because it’ sounds wrong and shirk to me ) Or is it a created model after His own spirit and He gave it then to us and that’s why He said His spirit in this verse?

Also some new age or spiritual people teaching this as well ( including sufism perhaps) that God is inside us experiencing Himself through you and me. Which to a degree perhaps make sense why we are created because God wants to experience 3d reality character. And they present very convincing examples like ; let’s say we play a computer game; the character in the game is a 3d avatar and does not realize that it’s not that avatar but he or she or it is being controlled by the player behind( in this example namely the conciousness behind the avatar but as soon as we die ( we wake up to the reality it was all along the conciousness behind it that they call God.)

Also I read many other verses which may indicating this as well like ; In a surah God says We are closer to him than his jugular vein.

And another verse saying where ever you face you will find God’s face ( something along these lines)

Also Surah Nuur ; God is referring to Himself as the light of the heavens and the earth. ( by which some people take from this that God is everything and everywhere like a light is shining everywhere)

Some people also say we are the temples of God ( so in a spiritual sense our body is God’s temple and resides in this temple in the brain the conciousness ( meaning God Himself ).

Again these examples sound good and convincing but they are very much going against the traditional Quran teachings and hadith from what I have studied or taught so far.

Can someone please enlighten me on this topic.

Jazakumullah khair.

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 1 month, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • Ruh ( Surah Hijr )

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar August 11, 2024 at 11:54 pm

God when talks to us, He adopts the words and styles of human language. Transcendental facts cannot be fully translated into human language. The concepts are borrowed to bring a transcendental reality close to our understanding but their realities cannot be fully comprehended.

God has told us that we cannot understand the reality of Ruh, 17: 85

وَيَسْأَلُونَكَ عَنِ الرُّوحِ ۖ قُلِ الرُّوحُ مِنْ أَمْرِ رَبِّي وَمَا أُوتِيتُم مِّنَ الْعِلْمِ إِلَّا قَلِيلًا ‎

We have the principle statement from God that nothing is like Unto Him. Nothing emanated from him. He rather created everything with His command.

Ruh in Arabic does not mean ‘soul’ or ‘spirit’, as we take these words. Ruh is God’s special message or command. This gave humans their consciousness, which is an extra feature in the creation of human beings. This is not done for other creatures.

Here is the principle verse that tells us how to take these facts:

ہُوَ الَّذِیۡۤ اَنۡزَلَ عَلَیۡکَ الۡکِتٰبَ مِنۡہُ اٰیٰتٌ مُّحۡکَمٰتٌ ہُنَّ اُمُّ الۡکِتٰبِ وَ اُخَرُ مُتَشٰبِہٰتٌ ؕ فَاَمَّا الَّذِیۡنَ فِیۡ قُلُوۡبِہِمۡ زَیۡغٌ فَیَتَّبِعُوۡنَ مَا تَشَابَہَ مِنۡہُ ابۡتِغَآءَ الۡفِتۡنَۃِ وَ ابۡتِغَآءَ تَاۡوِیۡلِہٖ ۚ؃ وَ مَا یَعۡلَمُ تَاۡوِیۡلَہٗۤ اِلَّا اللّٰہُ ۘؔ وَ الرّٰسِخُوۡنَ فِی الۡعِلۡمِ یَقُوۡلُوۡنَ اٰمَنَّا بِہٖ ۙ کُلٌّ مِّنۡ عِنۡدِ رَبِّنَا ۚ وَ مَا یَذَّکَّرُ اِلَّاۤ اُولُوا الۡاَلۡبَابِ

It is He [754] who has revealed to you this Book which has verses that are muḥkam [755] also – they are the foundation of the Book – and some others [besides them] that are mutashābihāt [756] as well. Then those whose hearts are perverted [757] always go after the mutashābihāt from among it in order to create dissension and in order to know their reality [758] even though no one except God knows their reality.[759] On the other hand, those who are well-grounded in this knowledge [760] say: “We believe in them: all this is from our Lord.” And, in reality, only those whom God has blessed with intellect understand such things.[761] (3: 7)

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register