Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions Welfare State And View Of Javed Ahmed Ghamidi

• Welfare State And View Of Javed Ahmed Ghamidi

Posted by Shaharyar Sabeeh on August 11, 2024 at 10:51 am

Assalamualaikum!

Has Ghamidi Saheb ever spoken on the formation of modern welfare states (especially that are seen in Europe)? If he has, please share the video/ writing.

Since taxation there is very high as compared to what you’d have in a Zakat system applied by Islamic State, I was wondering what he thinks of Islamic taxation’s compatibility with the funds required for services provided by welfare states.

Jazak Allah.

Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 1 month, 2 weeks ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Welfare State And View Of Javed Ahmed Ghamidi

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar August 11, 2024 at 11:22 pm

He has talked about it in various videos. His views summarize that the Western welfare states are a great achievement of human endeavors for the welfare of human beings. However, Liberalism needs to be harnessed to avoid unwanted results like the legalization of homosexuality, etc.

His view on zakat is that Islam has delimited the authority of the government to impose taxes. Muslims living in Western countries can count their taxes as zakat. If the tax they pay is more than the zakat due to them, it can be counted as the extra charity they made.

• Shaharyar Sabeeh

Member August 12, 2024 at 12:45 pm

So basically if a Muslim state is established on Islamic principles, they cannot impose taxes above that of Zakat (without consent ofc).

I have read Zakat ka Qanoon chapter from Meezan. At a glance it seems like that wouldn’t collect enough revenues in order to make sure the high quality of services that we in western countries in transport, health and social care, and primary and secondary education. But I must say that this comment of mine is not based on any deep analysis.

I think there is a need for a deeper analysis in order to show if it really would work in modern times. Do you agree?

Also, please also tell that is it allowed for a Muslim state to force private companies to allocate funds that would cover health costs of their low tier employees and their families? (Many companies already do that, but can it be forced by the state?) Because this will significantly help the workers and be counted as a strong labor law.

• Dr. Irfan Shahzad

Scholar August 14, 2024 at 12:47 am

There are more than one avenues to collect revenue for a Muslim government. Zakat on assets, Ushar on crops, and zakat on animals, the land is owned by the government. They can levy property tax.

Still the government needs more funds it can request the people and with their consent imposed more taxes.

The second question, if something ethically necessary and it belongs to the public affairs, it can be made a law or ruling to be adopted by the concerned authorities, like the companies you cited.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register