Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam No Compulsion

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 2:18 am

“And had your Lord willed, those on earth would have believed, all of them together. So, will you (O Muhammad) then compel mankind, until they become believers”

Now this verse clearly says Muhammad should not compel anyone to become believer.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 2:19 am

Please study the context and Arabic. The prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم went to extremes and God said that it is not befitting for you to try so hard- they are just denying from arrogance and stubbornness (also read surah abasa Ghamidi tafsir on monthly-renaissance.com)

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 2:21 am

There is a difference between using reasoning and argument and compelling in this case

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 2:24 am

God says to Muhammad not to go to extreme, but then says to him that kill them ?? Is killing not going to extreme ?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 2:25 am

Please read up on itmaam e hujjat. The killing is obviously not an argument to accept the religion but a decision of God to end these people’s test and they are doomed

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 2:27 am

Again, their test has ended in this world is decided by Muhammad himself. This is problematic.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 2:28 am

That is your claim- our claim is according to the undeniably true Quran that this was a decision from God

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 2:33 am

Decision from God is claimed by Muhammad only.. and he justified each of his actions as coming from God. That way, everything he did, he was blameless. The same argument is used by my friend John in other thread.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 2:34 am

But your friend John didn’t have an undeniably true Quran- we can also open a thread of proofs of prophethood

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 2:37 am

Even Muhammad didn’t have an “undeniably” true Qur’an … if it was undeniable, it would have been accepted as true by now.

Like gravitational theory is considered true.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:27 am

The earth is undeniably round- would you like me to share all the conspiracies. The same way logical misunderstandings occur some people are stubborn and arrogant and set in their ways for many reasons- one may be worldly disgrace or societal outcast etc

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:32 am

Interestingly, Qur’anic view by many scholars was understood to be that earth was flat and Sun revolved around the earth .. but anyway that is not the topic of this thread.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:32 am

The Quran is not a book of science and we would see their evidence for why they say this

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 2:35 am

In other threads, the claim was made that our time of death is fixed by Allah .. so does it mean Allah knew that we will reject the truth from Muhammad and then God will use Muhammad only to kill us. God somehow didn’t use any natural calamity to kill the disbelievers.. Muhammad only killed them by his army.

Interesting.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:27 am

This makes no sense – our death being appointed has no relation to Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم Army. What?

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:35 am

Wasn’t the God using Muhammad’s army to kill the disbelievers apparently and it was based on their stubbornness ? How did it get fixed apriori then ?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:37 am

Please cite the sources of what your saying

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 2:49 am

When someone says “no compulsion to buy my product” .. it doesn’t mean that the buyer is forced to buy the product if the product is really good. It simply means, that even if the product is really good and undeniably the best in the market, still the buyer is under no compulsion to buy the product. Yes, buyer is allowed to reject the “undeniably best” product.

It is strange that Prophet meant “no compulsion ” in a strange way. So, if we understand it correctly, he meant that you are under no compulsion but if I decide that I proved the truth, then you are under compulsion .

If while being killed, the disbeliever again accepts Islam and says that he accepts the truth, will God change his decision and ask Prophet that this particular disbeliever’s test in this life is NOT ended yet and let him live further ?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 3:45 am
    • Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:23 am

You are under no compulsion to buy medicine but when you die don’t complain

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:25 am

Which medicine ?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:28 am

A life saving medicine

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:24 am

I think unfortunately your understanding of the word compulsion in this context is flawed

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:26 am

My understanding of the word is fine, however you have a believer’s lens and justifying everything.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Then according to the videos explanation and dictionary definition how is it wrong? Please explain what is wrong with the justification.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:33 am

I didn’t watch all the videos .. some of which are 2 hrs long… please present summarized arguments .

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:34 am

I sent a time stamp with the video – and the analogy of medicine is also true

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:38 am

Can you please summarize the arguments and present them ? It is difficult to watch Urdu videos .. though some you sent were in English.

• Ahmad Shoaib

The one I sent here was in English please just watch it – it’s probably 3/4 mins answer

• Sheharbano Ali

Member July 26, 2020 at 3:11 am

You need to recognise the whole scheme of God that is present in the Quran. Firstly, you need to understand the style of the Quran. It doesn’t talk about a single theme in a single place, rather, verses are scattered throughout, so in order to make sense of it, you will have to view all the related ayahs that fall under one theme so to get the whole picture.

Now we to understand God’s scheme in creating us, as per the book of God. God gave us freewill to choose whether we want to be guided or not, depends completely on our choice. Had He willed, He would have made all of us as a single community, as believers, but then, what will be extraordinary about those who believe in Him despite not being able to see Him. Not only that, but despite all the desires, trials, satan etc. yet he turns to God realising his true place in this world.

God also tells us in the same book that every person, every instance, is being tested some way or the other. The goal is the same. This whole world has been created for us, for our test. And this is the very purpose that he sends us on this earth for a limited time. This average life of 50-60 years is enough for us to establish through experience, Inference and Established history that there is a God – Or the opposite could be true too for some, but nonetheless, they also come to the same conclusion using the same three tools.

God keeps reminding us that this life isnt created for nothing. It has a purpose. At one place, he also declares the one who doesnt believe in the day of Judgement, as the one who doesn’t believe in God. Because that would indirectly mean that God created all of this just for fun, and that He isnt a just, alive, all seeing, all knowing God.

Now you should view the above queries in light of this scheme. If in your lifetime, truth is conveyed to you fully in its purest and original form, and you’re merely denying out of arrogance then what do you think should happen? Those people existing at that time had known the Prophet pbuh since he was born. He had grown up among them, they titled him as the truthful and the trust worthy even before he became a Prophet. They knew his background, they knew he hasnt been telling any stories or narrating nay parables prior to this. They knew what Quran is saying is the truth because of the way it describes realities inside and outside of us. They had time and many chances to go to the prophet and discuss if they had any queries, if they were seekers of the truth. Had they rejected then, it would have been no problem. But God tells us that they just rejected because of arrogance and no logical reasoning.

So yes, freewill is given to you but it comes with consequences for the one who doesn’t use his faculties to the fullest. The very purpose of this world is to test people and thus when the purpose ends, so does your time. We weren’t sent here just to roam around and waste our time. We were sent to think, reflect, ponder, make us of our eyes, ears, hearts.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 3:19 am

Again this decision that their time has ended on this earth is decided by Muhammad, and he claimed that God decided it. Strange. God didn’t use any natural calamity or divine method to kill the disbelievers, but used Muhammad’s army only .. now any army can claim the similar stuff and say that the army is divinely inspired.

• Sheharbano Ali

Member July 26, 2020 at 3:23 am

It all comes down to you accepting Quran as God’s book or not. You should research with honesty, read it and by reading it means the whole of it (which i assumed you have), and then you can make conclusions if it still doesn’t convince you.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 3:26 am

I don’t know if to understand a topic, we have to read all the verses together which are scattered throughout the book. Now, there could be following ways of reading the two passages when the two passages are independently saying opposite things.

1. There is logical contradiction in the book.

2. There is some exception in the general ruling.

3. Later verse abrogates the former verse.

Now, who will decide which of the 3 ways is the best way to read the book ?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 3:43 am

Please provide examples- and follow the sister’s advice

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 3:48 am

I mean examples of where you find a contradiction

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:23 am

The one which we are discussing here in this thread is one example .. also there are many others like shirk being forgiven/ marrying christian woman etc.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:25 am

I see no contradiction with all the explanations I’ve given above- the other ones you can discuss by opening a new thread- please @ me so I know

• Sameer Bhagwat

I don’t understand why you don’t see the contradiction in killing people when they don’t believe . The excuse used that their test in this world is over, is a poor one.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:31 am

Please read up on itmam e hujjat. The prophet comes to a community and preaches this punishment- if people deny even after the truth is clear to them this punishment is implemented. What is unclear here? There matter is dealt with in this Earth according to God’s scheme and ours is deferred to the day of judgement

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:36 am

As I said, it contradicts no compulsion verse ..

• Ahmad Shoaib

Please explain in simple terms why when someone says have this medicine- it will save your life. But you are under no compulsion to take it. But remember- if you don’t take it you will die. Where is the contradiction?

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:39 am

The contradiction is not if he dies due to natural causes or the disease itself kills him… but there is contradiction if the salesman decides to kill him.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:41 am

Then simply take it this way. Accept me or I will kill you. You are under no compulsion to accept it and I will make sure you fully understand why I am right- if you reject I will know for certain that you are doing it out of stubbornness. But if you don’t accept it even after it is clear I will kill you.

The word compulsion doesn’t mean that there are no consequences

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:44 am

Ha ha.. sorry I couldn’t control my laughter .

1. Accept me or I will kill you.

2. You are under no compulsion to accept it.

These two are contradictory statements.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:47 am

That’s simply not what compulsion means. If you are compelled to do something it means you are forced to do it. In this case forcing someone to accept Islam means forcing them when they don’t understand.

The understanding has been made clear.

And when they now deny it is form their own arrogance and God chooses to end their test

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:50 am

No.. compulsion doesn’t ONLY mean forcing them when they do NOT understand.

Compulsion means forcing them EVEN if they do understand and reject you.

Let me put it another example.. a random guy stalks a girl and professes his love for her.. and says that he truly loved her, and shows enough proof for his love, and also says that girl is under no compulsion to accept his proposal but if she doesn’t accept it, he will kill her.

It IS compulsion.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:53 am

Please watch the Dr SS video

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:55 am

Instead of giving me video links, can you please provide Qur’an verses numbers which I can refer to ? Why should I accept SS’s explanation when he is not divinely guided by God to give the correct interpretation of Qur’an ?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 5:15 am

18:29

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 12:27 pm

18:29 : And say, “The truth is from your Lord, so whoever wills – let him believe; and whoever wills – let him disbelieve.”

It doesn’t say kill him if he doesn’t believe after your truth is made clear to him. Please provide that verse.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:53 am

God chooses to end their test by killing them .. but how ? Muhammad killed them and claimed that God killed them. Again it boils down to the same argument we had in other thread.

If Muhammad had cursed them and God killed them through disease or flood or some other natural means, we could have accepted it as divine punishment.. but Muhammad himself killing them and claiming God killed them.. well this is just the same claim all false Prophets make.

It seems we are going in circles. We had discussed it earlier in other thread as well.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:55 am

Then the proofs of prophethood thread – you need to go there- and the Quran is true therefore its claim to Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم being a prophet is true. Please read the Quran and keep on asking – the other threads are for the specific topics.

Please for the compulsion explanation wat h the Dr SS video

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:56 am

The Quran says God will deliver their punishment by the hands of the Prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and his companions

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:59 am

But this claim is made by Muhammad in the Qur’an which is where we started our discussion that it is not proven. If that were undeniably proven, then anything Muhammad did would have been justified .

Anyway, I think we are going in circles.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 5:00 am

I think maybe there is some lack in my way of conveying this- hopefully one of these brothers can help @UmerQureshi @Sohail @faisalharoon

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 5:00 am

The definition of the word compulsion :

The action or state of forcing or being forced to do something; constraint.

“the payment was made under compulsion”

If someone says that if he doesn’t make the payment, he will be killed, yes it is under compulsion. I can’t make it anymore clear .

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 5:01 am

The definition of the compulsion here in context is nuanced as explained in the video

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 5:09 am

The word compulsion in this context is related to will- it is their choice to either believe or not as it has been made clear to them. Now they are under no compulsion- it is their choice to believe or disbelieve- the consequences of both choices are given- reward or punishment. It is their choice what they want to now receive

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 5:13 am

Can you say the same for the stalker boy example I gave that he also gave two choices to the girl on gunpoint .. accept his love and marry him OR he will kill her..

Would you say he is not compelling her and it depends on her free will , and she should suffer the consequences of her free will and be killed if she makes the choice of rejecting that stalker boy ?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 5:17 am

He is compelling her. But when God says no compulsion in religion his entire scheme must be taken into account when interpreting his words. And it leads us to believe that it means you can do what you want- either way you will reap the consequences of your actions. Compulsion doesn’t negate consequences.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 5:19 am

When I say if you get a good grade I’ll give you chocolate if you don’t then no chocolate. It is your choice to get a good grade or not. The consequences are secondary

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 5:22 am

Yes, reward or denial of reward is not compulsion, it is a choice.

However threat of being harmed if not following the order, is a compulsion. Not giving chocolate is no compulsion, but denying food altogether is compulsion.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 5:20 am

I don’t understand, how can you say that the stalker boy is compelling her, when he clearly outlined his conditions. She is under free will even though she is at gunpoint, either accept his love and marry him OR face the consequences of being killed.

Why is it compulsion ?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 5:23 am

Then technically you are not compelled to do anything- it is all your free will. No?

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 5:24 am

It is your argument, not mine. I am only asking you to be consistently applying the same criterion to that stalker boy you are applying to Muhammad. It seems you are criticising the boy for doing the same action which you are not criticising Muhammad for.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 5:56 am

After this video I think I was arguing the wrong thing. JAG makes it seem like the compulsion aspect relates only to freewill. That God has given you intellect and freewill- now he will not force you by controlling you to accept it. That is what he said I think and others can also comment إن شاء الله

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 5:10 am

I just took the standard dictionary definition and example of the word compulsion. If the English translation of Qur’an uses the word “compulsion” and we all understand the dictionary meaning of it, what is the need for context and nuances to explain the real meaning? Why is Allah’s word so confusing ?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 5:12 am

The confusion is being created for two reasons. No.1 meaning is lost in translation No.2 possible the bigger cause is that you are not grasping the scheme of God- the freewill and itmaam e hujjat concept.

• Sheharbano Ali

Member July 26, 2020 at 3:32 am

The fourth way that i mentioned above.

You dismiss that one approach that i mentioned, and argue for all other ways that are not even correct brother. Try another time with the approach im suggesting?

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 4:22 am

But why is your fourth approach the best and proper way when so many scholars use the other methods to read the Qur’an ?

• Sheharbano Ali

Member July 26, 2020 at 3:33 am

Hopefully, then you’ll get the bigger picture of all what was happening.

• Umer

Moderator July 27, 2020 at 4:52 am

Forgive me for not following the whole thread (it is a bit unfair to comment without reading the flow of discussion) but allow me to present my understanding briefly:

This is very common in linguistics when you present something as a general principle and then you mention exceptions or specific applications to that general principle. This is exactly the case with compulsion, as a general principle, there is no compulsion in religion. The only exception is with the itmam-e-hujjah of the rasul himself. There are verses that categorically present this principle but only in the presence of a rasul after he does itmam-e-hujjah and is told through revelation that its time for the verdict. Otherwise, in the absence of a rasul and before completion of the proof by rasul himself, even the pagans of his time were free to follow their religion.

• ودود

Member July 27, 2020 at 5:53 am

Itmam e hujjat does not create an exception to the no compulsion principle.

No compulsion mean no other human is supposed to impose his views on others and people have full freedom of whatever ideology they want to follow. However it does not mean that deniers of the truth and followers of false gods will not face any repercussion not only here on earth but also in the hereafter. The reason is we are all accountable for the fair use of the freewill God has given us.

In case of itmam e hujjat only the timing of punishment is changed to an earlier point and the testing time allowed on earth is reduced a bit. Therefore it’s not a conflict with the principle of no compulsion.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 5:58 am

Deniers of truth and followers of false Gods are to be receiving punishment if they don’t change their ways and accept the truth by Muhammad. This is compelling them to accept the truth.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 7:29 am

But brother Wadud then how is different from someone saying you have full free will to accept me but he does it at gunpoint?

• ودود

Member July 27, 2020 at 6:08 am

When the punishment is declared the test time is over. Mostly those torments came down in form of high floods or earthquakes or acid rain. Only in case of prophet mohammad SW – God said He will punish them with the hands of the prophet and his team.

Bear in mind all those had known the truth already they were refusing due to their arrogance or some other worldly reasons.

Compulsion is an evil only when one is not convinced but forced to accept it. That was not the case.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 7:29 am

I don’t think it’s about evil here or not rather that there technically is compulsion present through the form of a threat of punishment

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 8:40 am

Let’s talk about apostasy punishment also and clear it for no compulsion concept. As many here say that killing people for leaving their religion of Islam is not good, as apostasy alone is not enough reason to kill them. ONLY rasul has this right, and that too with God’s order. So, all the 4 sunni schools of thought which say that kill those who leave their religion, are wrong. Also, the 13 countries which have the apostasy death punishment are not following Islam and are committing a big crime by killing innocent people legally, that too, in the name of Islam.

Also, why did Ali kill people for apostasy, if ONLY Rasul had this right ?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 8:42 am

First question: yes

Second question: itmam e hujjat concept. Whether they reject during the Rasul or after- it had become clear to all people. So apostates in that time from the generation of the Rasul صلى الله عليه وسلم could be killed

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 8:44 am

How did Ali know if they are denying the truth intentionally or not ? Did Allah tell him that ?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 8:45 am

Allah had already made it clear to all people of that generation and this was a know fact

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 8:49 am

So, Allah not only made things clear to Muhammad, but to all people of that generation ?

So, any companion was right in killing apostates ?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 8:50 am

Itmam e hujjat was performed on everyone.

Yes

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 8:53 am

Why did Prophet not kill them then ? Why did he leave it to Ali or other companions (after his death) ?

Also, when exactly it became illegal to kill apostates ? When did Allah say .. now enough.. no more apostate killing because I am not ordering it further ?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 8:55 am

Maybe they apostates after the death of the prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم

I think (I think- I haven’t researched) it would be after the first generation probably

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 8:58 am

Ali burnt some people and this news reached Ibn ‘Abbas, who said, “Had I been in his place I would not have burnt them, as the Prophet said, ‘Don’t punish (anybody) with Allah’s Punishment.’ No doubt, I would have killed them, for the Prophet said, ‘If somebody (a Muslim) discards his religion, kill him.'”

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 8:58 am

Sahaba are not infallible

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 8:59 am

And singular hadiths are not a source of religion

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 9:00 am

I am not considering them source of religion.. but it was quite clear that apostasy hadith was quite common knowledge and mentioned by Prophet to various people.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 9:01 am

And it was common knowledge who it referring to

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 9:02 am

People were applying it pretty generally :

A man embraced Islam and then reverted back to Judaism. Mu’adh bin Jabal came and saw the man with Abu Musa. Mu’adh asked, “What is wrong with this (man)?” Abu Musa replied, “He embraced Islam and then reverted back to Judaism.” Mu’adh said, “I will not sit down unless you kill him (as it is) the verdict of Allah and His Apostle.”

— Sahih al-Bukhari, 9:89:271

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 9:03 am

Can you tel me this man was not alive during the prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم ?

• ودود

Member July 27, 2020 at 11:22 pm

Only the direct audience of the messenger of God were within the scope of itmam e hujjat verdict.

The punishment was delivered thru the muslims of that time not just by prophet himself.

The verdict was applicable to both who never embraced islam despite knowing the truth and those who did initially but later changed their mind (for worldly reasons that made them entitled to the punishment).

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 11:31 pm

Can you please provide a Qur’an verse or hadith which says that apostasy verdict is only applicable to direct audience of the Prophet and later it should not be used ?

Qur’an is very clear, so it should be available as a clear verse, right ?

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 9:06 am

I think it is pretty generic ruling.. nowhere this hadith is saying that only Allah will guide who is an apostate.

Allah’s Apostle said, “The blood of a Muslim who confesses that none has the right to be worshipped but Allah and that I am His Apostle, cannot be shed except in three cases: In Qisas for murder, a married person who commits illegal sexual intercourse and the one who reverts from Islam (apostate) and leaves the Muslims.”

— Sahih al-Bukhari, 9:83:17

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 9:07 am

Your thinking is wrong

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 9:10 am

Why ? It is not only my thinking but the thinking of many many reputed scholars. It seems Prophet or Allah never said things clearly, confusing the most reputed scholars .

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 9:12 am

Please read up on the law of itmam e hujjat. It is not the fault of the prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم if the scholars of past did not include the Quran at an important station compared to hadith.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 9:21 am

Can you please explain the other 2 conditions for killing the muslim being justified ? Did those two also depend on if truth is made clear to him ? Also, why an unmarried muslim be not killed for illegal sexual encounter, but only a married muslim ?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 9:23 am

Qisaas for murder is a punishment for murder.

I think the middle reason has some nuance that I don’t remember but I think according to JAG this is not the case and there is some other reason

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 10:47 am

So, according to many people here, the 4 sunni schools of thought and many reputed Islamic scholars are wrongly interpreting apostasy punishment law. That’s good to know.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 10:49 am

Yes- because we have evidence against it

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 10:51 am

We can discuss blasphemy also as part of no compulsion.. or may be open a separate thread for it.

• ودود

Member July 27, 2020 at 10:25 pm

The cause of the widespread misunderstanding of apostasy is some reported killings of apostates in the books of hadiths, who were executed under the itamam e hujjat law but most clerics could not figure out the link.

In addition, political criminals who disguised themselves as muslims and later went back to their masters could have been executed as per the local laws for their crime of deceit but the historians mistakenly reported or interpreted such events as cases of apostasy.

Since Quran does allows freedom of religion we cannot take this kind historical events to infer any punishment for apostasy.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 10:29 pm

The most closest of companions of Prophet said the rule to kill apostates was mentioned by Prophet. It was about them leaving Islam.. If the most closest companions understood it wrong, I don’t have anything else to say.

Qur’an and Sahih hadiths contradict each other.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 10:31 pm

The rule was mentioned- and it was clear it was for a specific people.

I don’t see how they understood it wrong.

If a hadith contradicts the Quran it can never be sahih. A hadith is not just the text it is the context behind it which is not always clear. That is one of the reasons it is not an I’d spends the source of religion

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 10:39 pm

They understood it wrong as mentioned by many hadiths .. and 4 sunni schools of thought also understood it wrong, they all are very reputed scholars. Unless you blame Abu Hanifa and others for corrupting Islam, I don’t see your point.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 10:40 pm

The 4 Sunni schools of though did according to us interpret it wrong.

Where did the sahaba?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 10:42 pm

I don’t blame anyone. We assume the best and say they had pure intentions and acted how their knowledge saw best. We simply have some matters where we disagree. Einstein disproved newton and newton Aristotle- doesn’t mean they disrespected them.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 10:46 pm

You don’t blame them for corrupting the message of Islam ? If by pure intention and full knowledge, they still did NOT understand Islam, and are considered mainstream most reputed scholars by majority of Muslims, what does it say about Allah’s plan to send the message to humanity ?

Einstein and Newton weren’t interpreting divine message.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 10:46 pm

Allah completed his favour on humanity with the prophet صلى الله عليه وسلم and the Quran

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 10:53 pm

That’s not enough.. Allah didn’t make sure that Islam isn’t corrupted by its scholars. If mainstream Islamic scholars believe such a major concept of Islam (apostasy) to be one way, which is opposite to what Allah intended, then what is the point of preserving the text of Qur’an ? The important point is to make sure that the message as a whole remains uncorrupted.. preserving the text itself is meaningless, if the majority understands it wrong. What is the beauty and miracle of Qur’an if it is not even clear to the majority of reputed scholars ?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 10:54 pm

So you want God to have created robots that perfectly understand his message. Humans make mistakes

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 10:55 pm

Many Muslims go to graves and believe in the infallibility of certain figures and worship them. Is this God’s fault? He has preserved his word and it is our job to use it as evidence against mistakes or misunderstandings

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 10:59 pm

He has preserved its word in text only (though some verses are doubtful) .. but what is the point if core message is misunderstood by the reputed scholars ?

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 10:58 pm

I am not talking about some minor mistakes here and there.. I am talking about the core of Islam.. the freedom of belief and apostasy are very important part of the faith.

It is not one random human.. the majority of the scholars are of the view that apostasy is punishable by death. You are claiming ALL of them misunderstood the hadith and its context was not clear to them ?

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 11:38 pm

The test should be only conducted on them understanding the message. If they are not even understanding the message correctly, despite their sincere efforts, how can they be tested ?

I am talking about the most reputed scholars and when they ALL got it wrong, there is no hope for general public.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 11:36 pm

My related question on it :

If a polytheist today says he understood the truth of Islam, but is stubborn and denies it still, saying things like “I know Qur’an is word of God, but I will not accept Islam, because I don’t want to” .

He is fulfilling all the conditions of the polytheists of Arabia regarding completion of proof, but it seems it is not acceptable to kill him now.

Now, why would God not permit to kill him, or complete his test and end his time in the world ? God did it for polytheists of Arabia.. why not for current polytheist ?

• ودود

Member July 28, 2020 at 7:56 pm

It’s God’s prerogative to make all decide kind of decisions re punishing His criminals. That includes IF and WHEN to punish them.

2ndly God does not necessarily use people to punish His criminals. Actually most of the time torments were sent down to infidels in form of natural calamities e g earthquakes, stone or acid rains or high floods etc. Should He wishes to punish His criminals of this age, He can do it by all means.

Since there is no messenger of God living on earth, it’s out of question that God is going to ask us to carry out punishment to His criminals of our time on His behalf now.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator July 28, 2020 at 9:15 pm

This discussion has grown too big so I’m closing it. This is not to stop you from discussing it any further. Please don’t hesitate to create a new discussion if you want to continue discussing the same topic.

For Ghamidi sahab’s view on the topic of no compulsion in religion, please refer to:

No Compulsion in the Religion: Q/A with Javed Ahmad Ghamidi

The discussion "No Compulsion" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now