Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Created From Nothing

• Created From Nothing

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on July 26, 2020 at 2:41 pm

How is it logically possible for God to create something out of nothing. If God cannot create a stone he can not lift due to it beihefte an impossibility due to his attributes and if omnipotence means able to do all that logically can be done- then what is the logic of creating something from nothing?

Faisal Haroon replied 3 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Created From Nothing

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator July 26, 2020 at 7:12 pm

God is beyond this kind of perplexities. The key is to have a firm belief in God on the basis of undeniable evidence, which we have more than plenty right in front of us, and understand our own limitations.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 26, 2020 at 11:16 pm

Yes bhai but then things come up like can God create a stone he cannot lift. So the conclusion reached from that is that God cannot to logical impossibilities. He cannot make a square circle. So how can he create something out of nothing?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator July 26, 2020 at 11:43 pm

We recognize God by His attributes. We do not know the reality of God. When we have believed in Him and His word on the basis of evidence, and when He has already stated that He is beyond perception, then I have no choice but to leave this kind of discussions to philosophers.

That said, there is still no universal agreement on the definition and boundaries of logic.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 9:38 am

So we just trust that God is telling us the truth because of his track record with past nations?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 9:39 am

And by saying leave it to the philosophers it is still implied that they won’t understand yes?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator July 27, 2020 at 12:04 pm

My comment about philosophers was in regards that they are the experts who have been trying to figure our these things for thousands of years so the issue better be left to them – neither do I have the expertise nor do I find a need for myself to answer that.

As for your question about trust in God that He’s telling the truth, can you please elaborate? What is truth?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 12:04 pm

That he will give us heaven if we are good- or hell if we are bad

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator July 27, 2020 at 12:05 pm

That’s not what I’m asking. Again, what is truth?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 12:09 pm

Truth would be him fulfilling his word. If he says I will give you hell if you do this then him giving us hell would be truth

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator July 27, 2020 at 12:12 pm

And how would you know that would be truth? What I’m asking is how do you define truth? What is truth?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 12:22 pm

Something that is in correlation with reality

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator July 27, 2020 at 12:26 pm

So if we don’t know the reality of the hereafter, and we don’t know the reality of God, then this question is rhetorical, isn’t it?

That said, your definition of truth (correspondence theory) is just one of the many in the world of philosophy.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 12:28 pm

So you are saying we can’t understand whether God lies or doesn’t?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator July 27, 2020 at 12:39 pm

When we have believed in God and His book on the basis of evidence, in my mind there’s no objective reason to not believe in God’s promises about the hereafter.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register