Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Can Ahadith Be Interpreted Independently?

• Can Ahadith Be Interpreted Independently?

Posted by $ohail T@hir on June 24, 2020 at 7:16 pm

A general practice in interpreting Ahādīth is that each narrative is interpreted independently even if its variant texts exist. As a result, the complete picture in which a directive was given is sacrificed and one often ends up deducing a directive from incomplete data.

It needs to be appreciated that all the variant texts of a Hadīth must be studied in order to form an opinion about it. While explaining this important aspect, Ghāmidī writes:

Many a time a person may form an opinion about a Hadīth by not studying its variants; however, once he deliberates on all the variants his overall interpretation changes. One glaring example of this is the Ahādīth which mention the prohibition of pictures and portraits. If only some of the narratives are studied, one can easily conclude that this prohibition is absolute and every picture and portrait is prohibited in Islam. However, if all the variants are collected and analyzed, it becomes evident that the prohibition is regarding only those pictures which have been made for worshiping. Many similar examples can be cited from the corpus of the Hadīth literature. Thus it is essential that if one is not satisfied from the apparent words of a Hadīth, one must gather and collate all its variants to form an opinion.

$ohail T@hir replied 3 years, 8 months ago 8 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Can Ahadith Be Interpreted Independently?

$ohail T@hir updated 3 years, 8 months ago 8 Members · 11 Replies
  • Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 28, 2020 at 8:00 am

So, can we collect all the narrations of that hadith and analyse them as the collective set of authentic sayings of the Prophet?

Or do we need something more also to understand the true meaning of the hadith ?

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 28, 2020 at 8:01 am

If there is only one narration of the hadith available, which has the Prophet say something .. how do we interpret that hadith to understand what did he say and what he meant by it ?

• Ali Shaikh

Member July 29, 2020 at 12:25 am
    • Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 29, 2020 at 12:29 am

Kamil, this article you quoted says :

“Each ḥadīth is a piece of data about the Prophet ﷺ; when collected, these data points paint a larger picture which is the Sunnah.”

I am sure Umer bhai and Faisal bhai can shed more light on it, but this is different from what I read on this site.. where Sunnah is different from individual hadith collection.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator July 29, 2020 at 10:09 pm

Yes, sunnah means something completely different. Please see this discussion:

Discussion 3253

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 17, 2020 at 5:25 pm

What is the difference between is Sunnah and Hadith? I have heard people saying every hadith they quote as Sunnah. Sometimes the Hadith is so incredible that it is unthinkable that the Prophet sws would say it

• Umer

Moderator August 19, 2020 at 1:54 pm

If you come across any Hadith quoted by anyone which on the face of it is against the overall framework of religion i.e. Quran and Sunnah, you’re under no obligation to defend that narration, just return it back to the person narrating it; there’s no responsibility on Prophet (sws) for that narration. Let the scholars work on those narrations and come out with a conclusion. We as ordinary muslims shouldn’t bother about such narrations.

• Yousef

Member August 19, 2020 at 12:57 pm

I am looking for answers from ghamdi sb about study conducted by tanzeem-e-islami “Fikre-Ghamdi-Aik-Tehqiqi-w-Tajziyati-Mutalia” by dr hafiz mohammad zubair (pdf file of book attached) . it’s pretty comprehensive academic efforts and requires through engagement .

I am interested in knowing ghamdi sb point of view . keep in mind i have read and listen to ghamdi sb very extensively and read most of his books , question raised in this attached book asks for details pinpointed response .

Jazak Allah Khair .

• Umer

Moderator August 19, 2020 at 1:41 pm

Kindly create a new post for your question because your query is not directly related to the current topic.

• Saba Madani

Member August 28, 2020 at 10:47 pm

The article from the yaqeen institute for islamic research defines Sunnah the correct way. I completely agree with it. I’m sure Ghamidi Sb will change his opinion if he reads this article

The discussion "Can Ahadith Be Interpreted Independently?" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now