Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Home › Forums › General Discussions › Home On Deposit

  • Home On Deposit

    Posted by Zaid Lakdawala on October 7, 2026 at 7:47 am

    السَّلاَمُ عَلَيْكُمْ وَرَحْمَةُ اللهِ وَبَرَكَاتُهُ ا

    I would like your guidance on whether the following property arrangement is permissible in Islam.

    There is a residential property where I will pay the owner ₹50 lakh as a refundable amount under a legally registered government agreement for 2 years.

    During these 2 years:

    I will have possession/use of the property.

    The owner has agreed that I can sublet/rent out the property.

    I expect to earn approximately ₹45,000 per month as rental income.

    I will pay the society maintenance charges, electricity and other regular monthly expenses.

    I will also be responsible for any damage to the property caused during my use, as agreed in the contract.

    At the end of the 2-year contract, the owner will return the full ₹50 lakh to me.

    The property will always remain in the owner’s ownership.

    If both parties agree after 2 years, we may enter into a fresh contract for another 1 or 2 years.

    There is no interest or additional amount payable on the ₹50 lakh.

    Please also assume that the owner is allowed to use the ₹50 lakh during these 2 years, but is contractually obligated to return the full ₹50 lakh at the end of the agreement.

    There is no separate monthly rent that I pay to the owner; the arrangement is based on the refundable ₹50 lakh amount and my right to use/sublet the property.

    Would this arrangement be halal and permissible under the Qur’an and Sunnah, or would the refundable ₹50 lakh be considered a loan/debt resulting in a prohibited benefit?

    If any modification is required to make the arrangement Shariah-compliant, please advise what structure should be used.

    جـزاكم اللّـه خـيرا و أحسن الجــزآء

    Dr. Irfan Shahzad replied 14 hours, 4 minutes ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register