Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Sunni Books Of Hadiths And Shia Books Of Hadiths

Tagged: 

• Sunni Books Of Hadiths And Shia Books Of Hadiths

Posted by Muhammad Anas Ghauri on July 27, 2020 at 8:41 pm

If a non Muslim wants to accept Islam, after reading the Qur’an, which of the books of hadith should he choose, Sunni books of Hadith or Shia books of Hadiths? and Why books of Hadiths are different? How can we Muslims choose?

Umer replied 3 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 22 Replies
  • 22 Replies
  • Sunni Books Of Hadiths And Shia Books Of Hadiths

Umer updated 3 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 22 Replies
  • Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 27, 2020 at 11:41 pm

My related question is : Is Sunnah of Prophet common among Shia and Sunni sects ? If someone rejects some authentic hadith which is considered part of Sunnah , does he remain a Muslim ?

• Umer

Moderator July 28, 2020 at 7:13 am

Only give Quran to Non-Muslims. This is what has been ordained by God.

وَأُوحِيَ إِلَيَّ هَذَا الْقُرْآنُ لأُنذِرَكُم بِهِ وَمَن بَلَغَ (١٩:٦)

And this Quran has been revealed to me that I may warn you through it and all whom it may reach. (6:19)

After that, as long as someone understands the difference between Quran, Sunnah and Hadith and their placement in religion, they can read any Hadith book from any sect, it won’t increase or decrease anything in the religion.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 28, 2020 at 7:28 am

Is Sunnah of Prophet common among Shia and Sunni sects ? If someone rejects some authentic hadith which is considered part of Sunnah , does he remain a Muslim ?

• Umer

Moderator July 29, 2020 at 8:39 am

Sunnah in terms of source of religion is an independent source of religion and it doesn’t depend on any Hadith for it’s authenticity. There is no differences in Sunnah.

Word Sunnah is also used in terms of way of Prophet, not as a source of religion but whatever narration we have regarding Prophet’s way of life, how he used to do things etc. is also called Sunnah and mostly includes Hadith narrations but doesn’t add anything to the religion and it should not be confused with the Terminology Sunnah mentioned above.

• Muhammad Anas Ghauri

Member July 28, 2020 at 8:48 am

After the Qur’an and accepting Islam

Which books of Hadiths he choose?

And which source of Hadiths we choose?

• Umer

Moderator July 29, 2020 at 7:12 am

Bukhari and Muslim are better as far as their chains of narrators are concerned.

• Ali Shaikh

Member July 29, 2020 at 12:28 am

Well according to me he should study all hadith books and accept only authentic narrations which have chain to the prophet. But as we know in shia hadith work on chain of narration is weak that they do not even reach to prophet. So me must check that

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 29, 2020 at 12:30 am

What is the basis of determining the authenticity of individual hadith ?

• Ali Shaikh

Member July 29, 2020 at 12:54 am
    • Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 29, 2020 at 7:07 am

So, are sahih hadiths in Bukhari true words of Prophet or true reflections of his actions?

• Ali Shaikh

Member July 29, 2020 at 7:45 am

No we cant say that because it also contains weak narrations, and we must try to understand the contex how when and for what prophet pbuh said something. you can read introduction of sahih Muslim

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 29, 2020 at 7:46 am

Are Sahih hadiths in Bukhari also weak ?

• Ali Shaikh

Member July 29, 2020 at 7:52 am

Yes !

How many times will you ask this question??

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 29, 2020 at 7:59 am

I will ask this question as many times until it becomes clear.

So, when Bukhari labelled them as Sahih, who is calling them weak then ? Is Bukhari’s labeling wrong?

• Umer

Moderator July 29, 2020 at 8:48 am

When word Sahih is used by Bukhari for example, it doesn’t mean Sahih as in 100% authentic, it is a technical term of ilm-e-Hadith which means that the chains of narrators have no apparent flaws in them and it falls within logical and overall framework of religion as per understanding of Bukhari. However, just like Bukhari, every scholar while understanding any narration, must see if that Hadith is logically acceptable, whether it is in concordance with the primary sources of religion namely Quran and Sunnah. Keeping in mind these preconditions of understanding Hadith, many books were written on principles of understanding Hadith, (Khatib Baghdadi’s Kifaya is the most prominent in this category). These books lay down detailed principles of understanding Hadith. Ghamidi Sahab has laid down those principles here as well:

Discussion 1042

*(Please note that for the ease of understanding, I have tried to explain this in the most simplest way possible. Neither is this a very scholarly approach nor is this a replacement for a proper book on the subject).

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 29, 2020 at 9:00 am

So, if a hadith (not Sunnah) indicates that something Prophet said, and is considered Sahih by Bukhari, do we reject it still ? Are the principles used by Bukhari, not sound enough ? When Bukhari labelled some hadiths as Sahih, did he think them to be coming from Prophet or not ?

If I want to take any hadith and want to judge if Prophet really did or say that thing mentioned in the hadith, which scholar should I refer to ?

• Umer

Moderator July 29, 2020 at 10:18 am

That’s why we don’t comment on any Hadith in Isolation, we try to collect all the Ahadith on the similar topic to determine the context and then see the strength of their chain of narrators, understand the words of Hadith within framework of whole religion (Quran and Sunnah) and also see whether they are logically sound or not. After doing all this effort, then we can say, still not with 100% certainty that these are exact words of the Prophet(sws) but the closest estimation of what Prophet (sws) could’ve said.

Currently Hadith Project is underway under supervision of Javed Ahmed Ghamidi Sahab where they are applying the same principles to the whole collection of Ahadith (approx. 70,000 narrations).

Of course after applying all these principles, if someone rejects any Hadith, he must give academic reasons as to why he is rejecting any particular Hadith.

Bukhari did his best to take every possible measure to make sure all the limitations in narrating a Hadith are brought to minimum, but still the nature of inherent limitations of this mode of transmission is as such that we can never reach to 100% certainty in terms of words of the Prophet.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 29, 2020 at 10:25 am

I see an underlying assumption that a hadith can’t contradict Qur’an and Sunnah.. so I want to understand why Bukhari didn’t keep this fact into account, as so many Hadiths end up contradicting Qur’an, and why did the narrators narrate such a saying from Prophet?

When we say that a hadith should not contradict Qur’an, are we saying that Prophet couldn’t have said/done anything which is contrary to Qur’an ? If yes, then someone in the chain of narrators must have attributed false thing to Prophet .. it is the most logical explanation.

How come such a narrator be considered reliable then ?

• Umer

Moderator July 29, 2020 at 10:29 am

Its better if you could post this question in Hadith thread:

Discussion 1042

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 29, 2020 at 10:33 am

Done.

• Umer

Moderator July 29, 2020 at 11:02 am

Thank you.

• Muhammad Anas Ghauri

Member July 29, 2020 at 7:30 am