Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and State Is Qital A Lesser Jihad?

• Is Qital A Lesser Jihad?

Posted by $ohail T@hir on June 26, 2020 at 2:52 pm

There is a persistent notion among many Muslims that fighting in the battlefield is something very inferior to fighting against one’s desires.While the former is termed as jihad-i asghar (the lesser jihad), the latter is called the jihad-i akbar (the greater jihad).

This notion is not true. It is generally understood that the terms jihad-i akbar and jihad-i asghar are supposedly attributed to the Prophet (sws). However, this attribution does not have a sound basis. The chain of narrators of this narrative is very weak. Authorities of Hadith like Ibn Hajar, Ibn Taymiyyah and al-Bānī have convincingly challenged the authenticity of this narrative. So, one can safely conclude that there is no such thing as a greater jihad or a lesser one.

It needs to be appreciated that the word jihad is used in the Quran to connote striving in the way of Allah. One particular form of such a struggle is that in which one might have to take up arms for Allah’s cause. This is also termed as qital. In other words, striving in the way of Allah in whatever form one is able to in accordance with the needs that arise is what is required from a believer. Whether striving in His way in a particular form is more superior than some other one has not been indicated in any authentic source.

$ohail T@hir replied 3 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 0 Replies
  • 0 Replies

Sorry, there were no replies found.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register