Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Youth and Islam Lesbian Relationship

• Lesbian Relationship

Posted by $ohail T@hir on June 26, 2020 at 4:43 pm

Question

Can you please throw some light whether lesbian relationships are prohibited in Islam. Is it a sin and if yes, what is the punishment. Islam has clearly forbidden sex between two men but I could not find anything about lesbian relationship in the Quran.

Answer
    By Tariq Mahmood Hashmi

The Almighty has not provided His guidance through the Qur’an only. Guidance ordained in human nature and guidance obtained through universal moral principles also need to be heeded to. Lesbianism is obviously one of the practices whose abomination is ingrained in us. Only women whose nature have become perverted indulge in it. The fact that this is against universal moral principles is evident from the fact that barring a very very small minority, a vast majority regard it to be abominable thereby showing that the collective conscience of mankind has always considered it to be immoral.

Faisal Haroon replied 3 years, 7 months ago 7 Members · 43 Replies
  • 43 Replies
  • ودود

Member July 24, 2020 at 7:58 pm

The question is not whether it is moral or not. The question whether Islam forbids it or not.

There are two criteria we have to use to figure out the answer to the above question.

1. Is it prohibited in Quran or Sunnah?

2. Is it something that leads to any kind of injustice to anyone? 5 types of injustices are given in Surah Alaraf 32 or 33 not sure

Now you can use your own judgement to figure out the answer.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator July 24, 2020 at 8:39 pm

👍

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 7, 2020 at 12:01 am

Brother I would just say that you shouldn’t distinguish morality from Islam. Rather they are the same. Also I believe it would come under fawahish and it is also against sound nature of man

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 7, 2020 at 2:52 am

Islamic morality is different from secular morality..

• ودود

Member August 7, 2020 at 2:53 am

Islam is 100% about morality. Even the rituals like prayers, fasting etc is our moral responsibilities towards God.

Morality means spending all the resources on our disposal with justice and excellence.

Ability to reproduce is also one of the resources God has given us and using it in a sub optimal or unnatural way wont fulfill the requirements of justice and excellence (adl o ahsan) and therefore it will be a sin.

However, I don’t see any injustice or waste of resources in case of those bisexual women who are married but enjoys intimacy with other women. Let me know if you can figure out any injustice here.

By the way, i will watch sir Ghamidi video on this topic. I haven’t got a chance to so it yet.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 7, 2020 at 2:56 am

However, I don’t see any injustice or waste of resources in case of those bisexual women who are married but enjoys intimacy with other women. Let me know if you can figure out any injustice here.”

She is supposed to obey her husband, so not sure how she can enjoy intimacy with other women ?

• ودود

Member August 7, 2020 at 2:58 am

I am assuming her husband has no problem with that.

Disobeying husband is a different topic.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 7, 2020 at 3:01 am

Even then it is kind of adultery.. if her husband has no problem with his wife having sex outside marriage, with a man, will it be fine as per Islamic view ? Now, why it would become fine just because the third person happens to be a woman ?

• ودود

Member August 7, 2020 at 4:03 am

Because if a woman is having a relationship outside marriage with a man it will lead to injustice with the baby as none of the two men are likely to take the responsibility. It’s going to destroy the family unit and the woman and her baby will suffer the most.

a woman to woman relationship does not lead to this kind of a catastrophic disaster. However, if they don’t marry to man it leads to waste of their reproduction capability so it becomes a sin.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 7, 2020 at 4:15 am

If the woman already has a child with the man she is married to, obviously the man will take responsibility of that child, so not sure why there would be any issue.

• ودود

Member August 7, 2020 at 4:28 am

I am talking about the next unborn baby. There will be a confusion who the next child belongs to.

Have just finished watching sir Ghamidi’s video on this topic and learned that homosexual relations are against ‘tazkia’. To me, tazkia means purity, truth, cleanliness etc’. Anything against tazkia leads to injustice and waste of resources. For example an unnatural way of intimacy may lead to STDs thats going to ruin the health a precious resource God has given on our disposal.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 7, 2020 at 5:15 am

Today there is DNA test available which can determine paternity and as long as the husband agrees, there shouldn’t be any problem with having relation with other man also ..

I am not sure how is “purity, and cleanliness” better in heterosexual sex and is a problem in homosexual sex .. and what is the meaning of “truth” in this ? How is ‘truth’ going to be compromised ?

There is no real correlation of STDs with homosexuality.

• ودود

Member August 7, 2020 at 5:24 am

DNA test wont keep the family intact as there is a breach of trust.

If no STD risks then in my view it’s hard to invoke the issue of ‘tazkia’ here. Truth i mentioned as one of the meanings of tazkia but not relevant here.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 7, 2020 at 5:30 am

Trust issues are not valid in case the husband agrees already.. and if no children are involved in the relationship .. then also I am sure Islam will not allow it.

STD risks are there in heterosexual sex as well as homosexual sex.. and I am sure STDs weren’t the reason why homosexuality is prohibited.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 7, 2020 at 11:53 am

Divine commandments are given for the humanity as a whole. No time in history have all husbands agreed to such relationships, nor will there ever be such a time. Similarly, the case of no children is not applicable to the entire humanity.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 7, 2020 at 11:56 am

Divine commandments can’t be given to the whole humanity because the whole humanity is not same.. different people have different situations and different moral systems.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 7, 2020 at 11:57 am

Please refer to 23 series episode 14 onwards

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 7, 2020 at 12:04 pm

Link ??

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 7, 2020 at 12:07 pm

Sorry I meant episode 13 onwards

https://youtu.be/VaaD2xxvMUA

• Farhan Saiyed

Moderator August 4, 2020 at 8:06 pm
  • Rafia Khawaja

Member August 7, 2020 at 7:19 am

While Qur’an clearly forbids Homosexual and Lesbian relationships, we have to accept the fact that both conditions are present. My question is that could these conditions be genetic, a medical problem? Can these conditions be treated? If a man or woman is born with these inclinations then what is he or she suppose to do? I have come across families where two sons are gay. I have come across women who are very religious and pious, pray 5 times a day but have a lesbian relationship. Can anybody explain the reasons for this? I’ve struggled to find a convincing answer but so far I have not.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 7, 2020 at 11:49 am

I’ll paraphrase Ghamidi sahab but I do hope you also watch the video. The name of Islam is the fighting of this war against desires- and people are asking for a prescription to these desires?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 7, 2020 at 11:48 am

I think that Ghamidi sahab addresses your concerns in the video above.

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 7, 2020 at 12:58 pm

I will watch the video thank you

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 24, 2020 at 8:34 am

We have to still accept the fact that homosexuality and lesbian relationships exist in this world. It is wrong but being wrong will not make it disappear! Yes, controlling any evil desires which God forbids is very necessary. But I still feel we need to understand why men and women get into such relationships.? We should not condemn them and call them evil or ill treat them. I feel maybe therapy could help, maybe medicines. I don’t have an answer but I’ve met very good pious people who indulge in this. Their reply. ” God has made us like this” let’s try and help them if we can rather than kill them as it happens in many parts of the Muslim World! Let Allah be the judge!

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 24, 2020 at 8:43 am

Are you suggesting that homosexuals should not be legally punished in this world by Muslim rulers ?

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 24, 2020 at 9:36 am

In my Personal opinion the punishment has to be left to Allah for both homosexuals and lesbians because I cannot look into their hearts and declare them evil. I do not know their circumstances. Yes the State has to ensure that the morals are maintained in the society but to hang them, or execute them I do not agree. I saw a video of a Muslim homosexual man being thrown to his death from the top of a roof building! It was very disturbing. !

I may be wrong but as I said this is my opinion.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 24, 2020 at 9:38 am

How should the Muslim state ensure that morals are maintained in the society, if some people in the society commit the act of homosexuality ? Should the state not punish them ?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 24, 2020 at 9:45 am

Ghamidi sahabs view is as this act does not infringe anyone else’s right it should not be punished by the state. About maintaining morals if the state feels this is turning into a fasaad fil ard they can take action

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 24, 2020 at 9:48 am

Can you please give examples when homosexual acts will lead to fasaad ? Also, please relate it to having sex without marriage. How is sex without marriage harming anyone else’s rights, but we consider sex without marriage a punishable crime, right ?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 24, 2020 at 9:49 am

Prostitution. Teenage pregnancy. Children without fathers. Etc

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 24, 2020 at 9:52 am

Are these examples of fasaad due to homosexuality or sex without marriage ? If proper protection is used, so no pregnancy can occur, will the sex without marriage not be a punishable crime ?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 24, 2020 at 9:53 am

Prositution can be from homosexuality as well. Please let me know how you will police using protection

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 24, 2020 at 9:54 am

And anyway using protection is irrelevant as this leads to an overall hedonistic overly-sexual society as we see in the west. Btw I live in the west so I am not just someone sitting thousands of miles away guessing

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 24, 2020 at 9:57 am

You gave 3 examples of fasaad .. out of which only prostitution is relevant with homosexuality and other two also can be avoided by using proper protection. Though I am sure, that sex without marriage is a punishable crime even if doesn’t lead to any of the 3.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 24, 2020 at 10:00 am

You asked how is sex without marriage harming anyone’s rights.

Laws are put in place to prevent future problems and protect rights. You aren’t going to make sure everyone uses protection and you can’t either.

I feel I have appropriately answered your question

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 24, 2020 at 10:02 am

We expect to avoid road accidents by making sure people wear helmets and drive within speed limits. We don’t ban driving altogether.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 24, 2020 at 10:03 am

Apples and oranges

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 24, 2020 at 10:04 am

As sex usually doesn’t occur in the open. Unless you’re suggesting police officers patrol houses to check on people at night. Interesting notion

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 24, 2020 at 10:11 am

How is sex without marriage punished then ? It can only be punished when it is known. But we are not discussing how it is known/proven, we are discussing how sex without marriage itself is harming other people..

Drunk driving or over-speeding harms other people’s lives.. even though we don’t discuss how it is proven someone was drunk while driving.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 24, 2020 at 10:18 am

It is proven with four witnesses which suggests a great level of indecency. It seems these people are doing it in a public setting and maybe children could see it and be scarred and psychologically harmed.

Marriage without sex leads to children without stable parenthood. It leads to termination of life and murder through abortion. It leads to a hedonistic society with lack of responsibility usually in the young children and teenagers and less well off part of society. These people usually then also resort to drugs and can’t hold down jobs and it is a truly vicious cycle.

Many people will not use protection and there is no way to ensure it or police it

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 24, 2020 at 10:23 am

“Marriage without sex leads to children without stable parenthood.”

When did I recommend marriage without sex ? I am talking about the other way.. sex without marriage. How is that harming anyone else’s human rights?

How is drugs problem related with all this ?

Are you saying sex without marriage is ONLY punishable if it has 4 witnesses ?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 24, 2020 at 10:37 am

This discussion has derailed so closing it. Please start another discussion if you want to continue to discuss related topics. Please always keep the topic of the main discussion in mind. You can have as many discussions as you want, but each one should mainly be focused to a single topic.

The discussion "Lesbian Relationship" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now