Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Does Allah Have Masculine Gender Or Is Allah Gender-neutral?

Tagged: 

• Does Allah Have Masculine Gender Or Is Allah Gender-neutral?

Posted by Sameer Bhagwat on July 30, 2020 at 12:16 pm

If Allah has masculine gender, then Allah can only be referred to as “He/Him”.

Is there a prohibition to use “She” for Allah ? If Allah doesn’t have gender, why can’t Allah be referred to as “She” ? Why is it offensive to some posters if Allah is referred to in a gender neutral fashion (He or She are interchangeably used in corporate lingo when the gender of the employee is not supposed to be known/assumed) ?

Please give a proper answer to it, instead of editing my question.

Sameer Bhagwat replied 3 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Does Allah Have Masculine Gender Or Is Allah Gender-neutral?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 30, 2020 at 12:50 pm

Allah himself used the pronoun he instead of she. He is gender neutral but – Arabic has no real concept in it for that. I think there is nothing wrong. In Arabic he can refer to an unknown object without specification. She is always specific and implied femininity

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 30, 2020 at 1:40 pm

As I said, many in corporate use she to mean generically both male and female when the gender is not known or is not supposed to be assumed.

My question is : Why people get offended if God is referred to as “she” ?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 30, 2020 at 1:41 pm

Because in Arabic she is specifically used for females- male is used for unknown things

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 30, 2020 at 1:42 pm

But I am using English .

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor July 30, 2020 at 1:43 pm

Then I’m not sure if there is a problem if people know you don’t mean a specific gender- and anyway it is tradition because it is a well known thing- why do you want to change it?

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 30, 2020 at 1:48 pm

Some moderator on this forum told me that it is offensive to use “her” for Allah. I asked why .. but got no answer. Just because it is tradition, it doesn’t make it part of their religion.

• Umer

Moderator July 30, 2020 at 1:59 pm

This has been answered in detail by Ghamidi Sahab. Please refer to the video below from 40:35 to 47:02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQn9tcHEoq8&t=4290s

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor July 30, 2020 at 2:08 pm

So, why is it offensive to use “she” for Allah, when using in English ? Ghamidi saab is saying that whatever Arabians were using Qur’an used the same language.

By the same logic, even God/Bhagwaan/Ishwar being used for Allah will offend muslim people.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register