Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Youth and Islam How Much Deen/Religion Should A Common Muslim Learn?

Tagged: , ,

• How Much Deen/Religion Should A Common Muslim Learn?

Faisal Haroon updated 3 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 25 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator July 13, 2020 at 11:22 am
    • Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 7, 2020 at 12:07 am

@UmerQureshi do you have the resources Ghamidi sahab mentioned. Or is it forums like this? Is there like a syllabus type thing we can consult?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 7, 2020 at 12:08 am

I think maybe reading al mizan or watching its videos is an alternative too?

• Umer

Moderator August 7, 2020 at 10:26 am

I agree, Meezan is a very good start (especially the lectures), because it covers the whole of religion in a very systematic manner which makes things easier to both understand and correlate.

• Umer

Moderator August 7, 2020 at 10:23 am

Al-Mawrid is offering such courses. Faisal Sahab (@faisalharoon )can guide you better in this regard.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 7, 2020 at 11:47 am

Yes we have a great Sunday School program. You can look it up at:

http://www.ghamidi.org/sunday-school/

• Umer

Moderator August 15, 2020 at 12:18 pm

@AhmadShoaib

Registration is open in case you’re interested.

https://www.almawridinstitute.org/#/AllCourses

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 15, 2020 at 9:27 am

I think one should learn of the 5 pillars of Islam. Learning is a continuous process. Also one should listen to different scholar’s point views on religion and accept what appeals to you the most. One can never stop learning

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 15, 2020 at 6:17 pm

If we go by the concept of accepting what appeals to us the most, we will always go by the interpretation which confirms our liking/understanding .

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 15, 2020 at 6:20 pm

By appealing to you I mean which you understand after studying it throughly.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 15, 2020 at 6:22 pm

Did Allah intend to send multiple interpretations of Qur’an such that one can follow what suits him ? Is there one single correct interpretation or multiple possible and valid interpretations of the Qur’an ?

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 15, 2020 at 6:35 pm

There are not multiple interpretations of the Qur’an.

Please try and understand what I’m saying. If you are not fluent in Arabic you rely on a good translation of the Qur’an which explains every Surah clearly. Some scholars have a better ability to do this than others. That is all.

Please do not argue just for the sake of arguing!

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 15, 2020 at 6:39 pm

Yes, that’s what my question is.. did Allah intend to allow multiple interpretations to exist based on human intellect ? If that is the objective, then judgment will also be made on the human’s own understanding of the religion.. the scholars’ views are often contradictory to each other and contain huge differences.

Please do not argue just for the sake of arguing!”

Thanks for the advice.

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 15, 2020 at 6:43 pm

Welcome! Take my advice!

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 15, 2020 at 6:49 pm

When two scholars give entirely different rulings on a verse interpretation, what is the principle a common man should apply when selecting which version is correct ? Often such differences come from the scholars’ approaches of understanding Qur’an… so are we supposed to go in that much depth to really understand which scholar is right ?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 15, 2020 at 7:29 pm

It takes less than an hour to read about a scholar’s approach, and the number predominant approaches out there are less than what one can count on one hand’s fingers.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 15, 2020 at 11:34 pm

There are various approaches.. non-muslims read Qur’an with different view, shia and sunni read it with different meaning.. Qur’anists read it with different approach by rejecting all hadiths and sunnah…

Even the application of the hadith to determine the context of the verse is different among different approaches of scholars. On top of that, sahih/weak hadith interpretation varies across the spectrum.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 16, 2020 at 12:03 am

Anyone can spend a few days to figure out the right approach and follow it. The key is that one must have the desire to figure it out.

If God forbid your loved one is seriously ill, two different doctors will give you opposite advice. Then there will be a homeopath who will disagree with both. Hakeem will tell you one thing, and the spiritual healer will provide you with a completely different diagnosis. Will you leave your loved one to die just because it’s all too complicated?

Different approaches to understand Islam are not even a fraction of that complication. None of the approaches have any differences in the basics. One should have no difficulty in following those until they figure out the right approach. In case of a sick loved one, even the basics are contradictory.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 16, 2020 at 12:11 am

I am not talking about leaving it, and medical science doesn’t claim to be clear and detailed explanation of things. Scientific approach doesn’t come with a certified final message on diagnosis treatment of a disease for the entire humanity for all time.

I am not sure why you say approaches of different scholars don’t differ in the basics of religion. The basics agreed upon all scholars is : There is one Allah and Muhammad is the messenger of God..

Most of the other matters, different approaches differ on what Prophet Muhammad said and what Qur’an says.. for example, Qur’anists mostly treat Prophet Muhammad as a postman who delivered the message only.. his personal character and life doesn’t matter in religion. Many Sunni/Shia scholars derive the religion from how Prophet practiced it.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 16, 2020 at 12:22 am

God has given us the faculty of reason. Use it to decipher different approaches and follow what you find to be right.

None of the approaches have any differences in God being the Creator, a concept about the day of judgement, prophet Muhammad being the last prophet, certain fard ibadat, and rights and responsibilities of people. Anyone can follow these.

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 15, 2020 at 7:13 pm

We should study it deeply and also read other translations of the Qur’an to understand better

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 15, 2020 at 11:56 pm

I am sure the scholars did it too, and better than us.. like Ghamidi saab said that on religion he strongly disagreed with scholars like Dr. Israr Ahmad saab, on basic issues also, but he doesn’t doubt their scholarship and knowledge. I am sure both Ghamidi saab and Israr Ahmad saab must have devoted sincere efforts in understanding the religion.. and as a common man, I don’t have expertise better than either of them. How should I decide which one of them is right regarding, say , parda for women or apostasy punishment ?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 16, 2020 at 12:09 am

Once you understand the approach, the implications will automatically fall in place. Differences of opinions in parda, women, apostasy are all implications of following different approaches.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 16, 2020 at 12:13 am

OK.. but how do I decide which approach is right ?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 16, 2020 at 12:24 am

Read the Quran from cover to cover with purity of intention to gain guidance. God has given us the faculty of reason. In light of what you understand from the Quran and your reason, you’ll have no difficulty in picking the right approach.

The discussion "How Much Deen/Religion Should A Common Muslim Learn?" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now