Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Are These Professions Halal?

Tagged: ,

• Are These Professions Halal?

Posted by Sameer Bhagwat on August 1, 2020 at 12:44 am

I want to know the opinion about Muslims working in the following professions, is it permitted ?

1. Working in a conventional bank (not earning interest yourself but working as a manager).

2. Working in an alcohol/wine shop (not consuming any alcohol yourself but assisting in the business).

3. Working in a temple committee (not doing idol worship yourself, but working in the dealings of the temple etc.)

4. Working as an airhostess .

5. Working in movies/TV serials which are not showing nudity/lewd scenes, but show romance etc.

Sameer Bhagwat replied 3 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 21 Replies
  • 21 Replies
  • Are These Professions Halal?

Sameer Bhagwat updated 3 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 21 Replies
  • Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 2, 2020 at 1:06 am

Would appreciate if the answers to the above professions is provided.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 2, 2020 at 5:34 pm

Eating of riba is haram. Those who are conscious of God stay away from it, and do not like to even get involved in activities that might lead to it. If you understand this in principle, you can apply it to all other jobs that you stated above.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 2, 2020 at 7:39 pm

Can you please explain “Eating of riba” ?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 2, 2020 at 10:59 pm

That means that consuming riba is haram.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 2, 2020 at 11:53 pm

As long as one doesn’t consume interest herself, if she is working in a bank, is it still haraam ? I don’t think working as an employee will lead her to consume interest.

Also, what about other professions I listed that have nothing to do with riba?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 3, 2020 at 12:02 am

Sameer sahab, it’s common sense that when something is bad for you, you try to stay away from even those things that might lead to it. I have given you the principle, and that’s all I’ll share with you. To make things haram and halal is not my domain.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 3, 2020 at 12:05 am

If we apply your principle, then even opening an account in bank is something which “might” lead to earning interest .. so should we avoid opening bank account ?

Having friendship with polytheists might lead one to become polytheist.. so should one avoid friendship with polytheists ?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 3, 2020 at 12:15 am

Those things are for you to decide for yourself, and for I to decide for myself. The law is to stop at the red light. Some people prefer to apply brakes 2 feet ahead of the light, and others 50 feet ahead. But those who are conscious of God stop as far back as possible.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 3, 2020 at 12:20 am

Thanks.. this answers my question.. none of these professions is haraam but it is upto the individual where he stops before the red light.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 3, 2020 at 12:30 am

@faisalharoon if you are working in a bank and sanctioning interest dealings you are directly allowing someone to consume riba. Eg without you he would not have consumed it. Doesn’t this make it haraam?

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 3, 2020 at 12:33 am

Is there any Qur’an verse that working in such institutes is prohibited or only consuming the interest is prohibited?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 3, 2020 at 12:36 am

If you aid someone to steal you are allowing a crime and helping it and would be held accountable.

If you aid someone in paperwork for riba shouldn’t it be the same logic?

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 3, 2020 at 12:39 am

If working in such institutions was haraam, Allah would have mentioned it clearly. Are you saying we know better than Allah ?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 3, 2020 at 12:41 am

Lol of course Allah didn’t mention every haraam thing but we can use simple reasoning and deduction.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 3, 2020 at 12:42 am

I don’t believe the Quran says selling a knife to a murderer knowing he will kill is haraam. But it is obviously sinful

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 3, 2020 at 12:46 am

A simple rulebook can say it .. killing any innocent or knowingly assisting the killers is haraam..

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 3, 2020 at 12:48 am

Exactly. But it is not needed. This is a requirement of logic reason and intelligence

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 3, 2020 at 12:45 am

Are you saying Allah didn’t mention every haraam thing, but he mentioned eating pork is haraam ?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 3, 2020 at 12:47 am

Yes this is what I’m saying.

The prohibition of pork stems from the weakness in human nature to distinguish whether this animal is right for eating or not. So God have a general principle that an animal like this should not be eaten.

If God listed all the haraam things possible do you know how long the book would be ? 😅

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 3, 2020 at 12:50 am

No.. even many rulebooks today mention almost all the things clearly prohibited and they are not long books either.. and what is the problem in long books ?

You know .. the inheritance rule and the marriage rule.. God listed every relation who deserves inheritance or every relation which women can’t be married to .. now if something is not mentioned there, it is clear that God didn’t want to distribute inheritance to that relation and God didn’t want to prohibit marriage to that woman..

Else.. God’s word is not clear. . and it is confusing.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 3, 2020 at 12:50 am

Please keep the discussion on topic.

The discussion "Are These Professions Halal?" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now