Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Forgetting Taking Allah's Name During Slaughter

• Forgetting Taking Allah's Name During Slaughter

Posted by Rauf on August 1, 2020 at 1:42 am

If a Muslim forgets to take Allah’s name during slaughter, is the meat considered Halal?

A little research tells me that traditionally most people believe it is still Halal. If indeed that is the case, how does it reconcile with the prohibition of eating that upon which Allah’s name is not mentioned (Quran 6:121) in the Quran? How do we make an exception for someone who does so by mistake here?

Rafia Khawaja replied 3 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • Forgetting Taking Allah's Name During Slaughter

Rafia Khawaja updated 3 years, 9 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator August 1, 2020 at 11:06 am

As a principle, taking of Allah’s name is obligatory [1]:

However, in my understanding, in case of an honest mistake, where a person had every intention of taking Allah’s name for slaughter but somehow forgot to do that; if one can afford another sacrifice then one should do that and if not, then one can take Allah’s name whenever one remembers that fact and can hope for acceptance of his sacrifice. This is the same principle we use in case of all honest mistakes.

[1] An animal which is slaughtered such that no name other Allah is invoked on it but the name of Allah is also not positively invoked while slaughtering also comes under this fourth category of prohibited items. The Qur’ān has declared it to be an act of fisq (defiance; disobedience) just as it has done so in the case of slaughtering an animal in the name of someone other than Allah. While refuting certain superstitious beliefs of the Arabs about animals, it says:

وَلَا تَأْكُلُوا مِمَّا لَمْ يُذْكَرْ اسْمُ اللَّهِ عَلَيْهِ وَإِنَّهُ لَفِسْقٌ وَإِنَّ الشَّيَاطِينَ لَيُوحُونَ إِلَى أَوْلِيَائِهِمْ لِيُجَادِلُوكُمْ وَإِنْ أَطَعْتُمُوهُمْ إِنَّكُمْ لَمُشْرِكُونَ (١٢١:٦)

Eat not [O believers] that animal on which Allah’s name has not been pronounced [at the time of the slaughtering of the animal], for this is a Fisq. And certainly, the devils do inspire their friends to dispute with you, and if you obey them, then you would indeed be polytheists. (6:121)

While explaining, why not invoking Allah’s name on a slaughtered animal or prey make it a prohibited thing, my mentor, Amīn Ahsan Islāhī, writes:

Firstly, as I have explained in my commentary on the Bismillāh verse, any task or routine begun without taking the Almighty’s name is without the blessings of Allah. One must take the Lord’s name whenever benefiting from His favours, whether big or small, to express gratitude at being blessed with them. If he does not show acknowledgement on such favours, then this is tantamount to extortion and making use of something that actually does not belong to him. Such an unbefitting and unworthy attitude deserves the wrath and punishment of the Almighty.

Secondly, the sanctity a life possesses requires that even an animal be sacrificed only with the permission of the Almighty Who is the Creator of life. It is only Allah who can give us this right, and, therefore, as a reminder of this fact, it is necessary to take His name when the life of an animal is taken. If God’s name is not taken while slaughtering an animal or, or if someone else’s name is invoked, or if besides His name, someone else’s name is also taken, then this amounts to violating the sanctity a life has and also showing disrespect to the Almighty Himself.

Thirdly, this practice closes the gateway to polytheism. Those who are aware of the history of various religions know that animal sacrifice, making offerings and making vows on them is deeply linked to worship rituals. Because of its importance, it has received great support and patronage in polytheistic religions. People and nations who have been incriminated with the honour and veneration of some deity have gotten themselves involved in various forms of animal offerings and sacrifices. The Qur’ān records Satan’s challenge given to the Almighty in which he openly told Him that he would lead people astray. The challenge specifically mentions this form as a means to procure his objective. To close all these door to polytheism, the Almighty made it obligatory that His name only should be positively taken while sacrificing an animal. Any one who does not follow this practice is not only doing something forbidden, but also the animal upon whom he has committed such an excess is forbidden.

(Excerpt from Meezan: For details, please refer to the following thread: Discussion 1641)

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 1, 2020 at 12:15 pm

The problem is we go and buy halal meat but there is no guarantee that the butcher took Allah’s name whilst slaughtering the animal. I have seen chicken being slaughtered where the men are busy chatting. So he could forget

Can we ensure they said Allah’s name? No but we as Muslims just accept it. There is no 100% guarantee

• Rauf

Member August 1, 2020 at 5:27 pm

Jazakallah for the detailed answer. I still have one doubt.

My understanding of an honest mistake is that Allah will forgive it, but that doesn’t make the act valid. For eg, missing Wudu during Salah means repeating the prayer

In particular, I am basing this on Ghamidi Sb s emphasis on the text of the Quran to understand the Shariah. In Surah Anam Verse 121, the prohibition seems to be absolute. If there was something like “Wallahu ghafoorurrahim”, that could indicate that Allah will take an attitude of leniency to mistakes regarding this, but the words in the verse, terming this a grave disobedience, are very harsh and the emphasis seems to be on the prohibition. How then are we able to say that Allah will permit consumption of such meat.

I might have understood this incorrectly as I dont have any training in Quranic interpretation. Would be greateful if you could enlighten me on whether we can find a Quranic basis for this. Jazakallah Khair.

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 1, 2020 at 6:22 pm

Frankly I too get confuse. In Surah Al Maida verse 5 it says the food of Ahle Kitab is halal for us The meat that is forbidden is which is slaughtered in the name of deities as offering. Muslim men are allowed to marry chaste women of Ahle Kitab

Common sense . Quran is giving you permission to marry their women and eat their food. Unless Allah wants to confuse us, why would he give this permission in such a delicate matter.?

The debate will go on and one hears both views from scholars.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register