Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Is Learning Arabic A Prerequisite To Understanding Qur'an ?

• Is Learning Arabic A Prerequisite To Understanding Qur'an ?

Posted by Sameer Bhagwat on August 7, 2020 at 9:57 am

I want to ask this question because I don’t know Arabic at all, and I am sure many people don’t understand this language.

If I want to understand Qur’an, do I have to learn Arabic ? Or is it possible to read it in English and understand what God is trying to say in his final message to the humanity?

If yes, what are the best English translations available in the world which translate the word of Allah in a language we can understand ?

I am not talking about tafasir, because that is the scholar’s own interpretation of the verse. I am specifically asking for translation of God’s word in English.

Faisal Haroon replied 3 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 26 Replies
  • 26 Replies
  • Is Learning Arabic A Prerequisite To Understanding Qur'an ?

Faisal Haroon updated 3 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 26 Replies
  • Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor August 7, 2020 at 10:06 am
  • Umer

Moderator August 7, 2020 at 10:57 am

You might find this helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRhEfKaklGI

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor August 7, 2020 at 12:39 pm

As I see it.

There is information and then there is knowledge. I might have information about a process, an event, a being etc by reading what others tell me.

If I want to gain a deep meaning and understanding then I have to have knowledge. Mere information will not cut it. For example, if I want to have a career as an architect and gain economic benefit then I must know the subject, in and out. I need to have “knowledge” of the subject; math, physics, art, design etc. I need to spend time learning for a viable economic future.

Like wise, to gain spiritual benefit, I must understand the quran, attain knowledge. Mere information will not suffice. Any translation is information given by someone else. There, you are at the mercy of the translator.

If you need to understand and hear God yourself, then you need to know Arabic. It is easily possible, like learning any other subject. One day at a time. This is necessary for a viable spiritual future.

Why should religious knowledge or spiritual knowledge be any different from economic or mundane knowledge? That is very pertinent question indeed!!!

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 8, 2020 at 2:23 am

“If you need to understand and hear God yourself, then you need to know Arabic.”

Does God want to keep this condition that only Arabic speakers can understand his message properly ? Rest have to rely on translators’ interpretation only ?

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor August 8, 2020 at 9:00 pm

I will explain further, soon InshaAllah

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor August 8, 2020 at 10:50 pm

In the name of Allah, the all knowing.

As I see it.

Language is one of the fundamental abilities of humans. As we progressed we game names to certain things, to know them; a rock is named as such and everyone knows, what one is talking about, when one says “rock.” A rock will have all the same features in any culture and, by extension, any other language. This is a part and parcel of a material object, a tangible object, a wordly object etc. A mere translation will suffice when talking about a “rock.” A rock is not an abstract concept; which can only be felt and understood from signs of its existence. An example would be “love,” which is known through its expression, it is rather felt to be known. It’s features are universal in all languages and cultures.

Now, moving ahead, evolving into art and poetry and philosophy and sciences. If I want to be a doctor then I must know the language of biology, most importantly. Mere information will not be enough. I should know and understand, the language, and the process and the sciences. I cannot demand to be a doctor without that knowledge. Hence, knowledge of the language is essential.

Now, moving further ahead. In poetry, one needs to understand the culture of the poet, the language of the poet, the style of the poet, the era of the poet. Once I know these, only then can I really appreciate his talent. Take Iqbal, for example. Translation of his poetry does not do justice to his message or the elegance of his poetry. If I wish to learn from his poetry then I need to understand everything that will help me.

That being said as to why learn a language, the next point to ponder is why did God chose Arabic. If a prophet is Arabic then why should God choose mandarin. It wouldn’t make any sense. The message had to be in “a” language. We could ask the same question which ever language was used. Why Cantonese, why German, why Danish etc. So the language used should be language of the first audience, the language of the prophet, the language of the place, the language of the era, etc.

It so happens that Arabic is an original language, it didn’t evolve by a mixture of other languages rather it has influenced scores of other languages. It is first observed around 1st century of the common era. It’s versatility is remarkable, it’s eloquence is exquisite.

The prophet had to be from the sons of Prophet Abraham, from a people of no importance lest people would accuse him of being already privileged from a privileged nation and hence abase his miracle of making these invisible people rise from rags to riches and conquer thousands of kilometers.

So, this being said, it rests on my thirst, to know God, to know myself, to know life, to know reality, to have a purpose, that I learn Arabic. I should feel God through my own senses. I HAVE TO LEARN ARABIC.

It also rests on an individual. What will satify him? Will information be enough, will translation of another be enough, will learning the language be enough!

We all pick and choose.

And Allah knows best.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 8, 2020 at 11:59 pm

That being said as to why learn a language, the next point to ponder is why did God chose Arabic. If a prophet is Arabic then why should God choose mandarin. It wouldn’t make any sense. The message had to be in “a” language. We could ask the same question which ever language was used. Why Cantonese, why German, why Danish etc. So the language used should be language of the first audience, the language of the prophet, the language of the place, the language of the era, etc.”

Two points I want to mention here.

1. The reason given by you is that since Prophet Muhammad was Arabic, hence Qur’an had to be in Arabic.. then the question comes, why didn’t God send the same message through multiple messengers across the world in their own languages and protected that ? Why choose a specific human and in a specific part of the world only ? If the purpose of Qur’an was to send the message to whole humanity, then it makes sense for God to make it available in all languages.

2. My objection is not on why God chose Arabic, but why it is so difficult to translate it in other languages ? Many verses are wrongly translated in English, and almost all the reputed available English translations contain some gross errors which distort the message of Allah. Whenever I ask the explanation, I am told that one must learn Arabic to understand the true meaning of the verse.. but that’s why I refer to those who were Arabic experts to give me the message in English.. if they also commit simple mistakes, then whom I will refer to ? These translators are not random common men, they are experts in Arabic and studied Qur’an for years.. if they can’t understand and translate it properly, what hope I have to learn Arabic and understand it better than them ?

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor August 10, 2020 at 8:45 pm

In the name of the All-Knowing.

As I see it!

For point number 1.

There is perhaps only one matter that can never be overemphasized. That is “singularity.” The Qur’ān states the importance of one master as opposed to many. Allah, subhaanahu waa ta’alah, has repeatedly emphasized this. Singularity has coherence and simplicity, while the opposite is true for plurality. Multiple Gods would spell doom for creation!

There is just ONE religion from ONE God, this deteriorated into many versions of faith.

God has always sent only ONE prophet bearing ONE message at any given time. These singular books deteriorated into many versions (true for Torah, Zaboor, Injeel) or many interpretations (true for Qur’ān). This multiplicity created animosity among believers of the same faith. Hence, a deterioration.

Now, I ponder.

If one book can be seen in so many ways and create huge differences, imagine what multiple books would do to the world. The differences would be exponential and complete chaos as what book is superior or truer or better.

Which language could convey the real message better, what translation of which book in what tongue is correct. “My book is better than yours”, “My prophet is superior to yours” etc, could be the dividing factor and the real message lost for ever.

Now, factor in the difference of opinion of any singular book, imagine there are 50, and there are 200 books in the world with 50 interpretations each, and each changing over time for 10,000 years. I can’t do that math!

Singularity is unique and easy.

And Allah knows best.

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor August 11, 2020 at 9:29 pm

In the name of the All-Knowing.

As I see it.

For point number 2.

“…Each soul is responsible for its own actions, no soul will bear the burden of another…” 6:164. Qur’ān.

We, all, will be judged for what we believed in, what we acted out. So whosoever translation we read, we should know what the basic principles are. The principles of truth, justice, compassion towards fellow humans, to name the most important. So good and bad have to be segregated and known, then good should be done at all times.

We have to know the basics so that we don’t get misguided. If we don’t know math then anyone can give us less change back and we won’t know it.

We are all humans, to err is human, to forget is human, to be confused is human too. We cannot claim that a scholar is always right but he tends to be right more often than average people. A scholar is bound by his time and by the resources available to him etc.

One should choose the translation that appeals. After all, we will be judged by our own actions. So, personally, I choose Farahi school of thought that says there can only be one understanding of the Qur’ān. After all, it is the clear book, to paraphrase Qur’ān itself. It should not need another source to interpret it. If it did then it can’t be a “kitab um mubeen”! The “Furqan”! I am learning the language and I have resources to help me, like an Arabic dictionary etc.

May Allah guide us all to straight path. How many straight paths should be there. Siraat ul mustaqeem can only be one.

And Allah knows best.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 11, 2020 at 11:13 pm

Qur’an needs the historical details of the time to interpret its verses, since it was assumed to be to its immediate addressees .

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor August 12, 2020 at 11:05 am

True.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 12, 2020 at 8:55 pm

“One should choose the translation that appeals. After all, we will be judged by our own actions.”

If we go by the translation which “appeals” us, then everyone will go by different versions of Islam.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 13, 2020 at 6:06 am

I think yasseen bhai means appeal to logic and reason. Also the historical things needed are part of established history

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 13, 2020 at 6:14 am

Almost all the reputed translations have no problem with logic and reason, if you want to believe them.

There is nothing like “established history” when you reject the historical accounts which violate your liking.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 13, 2020 at 6:22 am

Some translations have biases due to being Interpreted by ahad.

Established history is eg Badr happened. It is that pakistan was founded in 1947. Other things of specific nature which do not have the same status as these incidents due to having a source only in khabr wahid will be judged against these established incidents- whether it’s by mathematics or if it goes against the established character of a historical figure. Or if it goes against common sense

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 13, 2020 at 6:28 am

One or two translations having biases, is understandable, but the problem is, even after consulting 7 reputed translations to understand the verse, we get it wrong.. I see some reputed translations insert their own scientific/moral understanding of the world, into the verses and distort them. An example is 4:34.

Second part of your comment is not the topic of this thread, but we are not doubting such big events, but what really happened in them.. like Battle of Jamal happened, but who initiated it, who was at fault, who had wrong intention, these things are contained in some historical context, which are narrated by fallible people.. we reject those narrators whom we don’t like.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 13, 2020 at 6:30 am

Unfortunately the majority of our history and population falls privy to these biases

It’s not about who we like or don’t – I have explained above- logic reason common sense and conformity with established history

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 13, 2020 at 6:35 am

I don’t understand how logic and reason makes sense here.. if a Qur’an translation is logically/scientifically wrong, I won’t reject the translation on this basis alone .. because it is possible that the translation is correct, but the verse itself is logically/scientifically wrong.

That’s why I am looking for exact English translation and not tafsirs.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 13, 2020 at 6:36 am

In these matters you should ask a reputable scholar and also try a bit yourself. You can see word to word translations or ask a scholar who’s view you generally trust.

You can get word to words

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 14, 2020 at 2:58 am

I tried it with 4:11/4:12 and find that translation and meaning which other scholars got was much different from what Ghamidi saab got..

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor August 13, 2020 at 7:00 am

I will try to explain, later, InshaAllah

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor August 13, 2020 at 6:38 pm

https://www.facebook.com/javedahmadghamidi/videos/314025030009535/?d=null&vh=e

Please have a listen to this. Many thanks. This can clear many questions about Qur’ān and how to treat it.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 13, 2020 at 9:02 pm

Thanks, but these are Ghamidi saab’s own interpretations of understanding the Qur’an.. (also they are in Urdu so sometimes difficult to understand for me) .. what I am asking for is, Allah’s direct word in English or other languages.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 14, 2020 at 10:17 am

Every kind of communication has two ends – a communicator and the one who the information is communicated to. It’s the job of the person on the receiving end to interpret and understand the information.

Every interpretation of God’s word is some human’s interpretation. God did not interpret anything for humans, neither He should have. Our job is to accept or reject people’s interpretation on the basis of reasoning and the weight of their evidence – that constitutes the test of our intellect and knowledge. We have the right to reject any interpretation, but it must be on solid intellectual grounds – it’s not enough to say that it’s just someone’s interpretation.

• Mohammad Yaseen

Contributor August 13, 2020 at 9:17 pm

I will try to help, InshaAllah

The discussion "Is Learning Arabic A Prerequisite To Understanding Qur'an ?" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now