A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions Lying For Fun

Tagged: ,

• Lying For Fun

Faisal Haroon updated 3 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 10 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 8, 2020 at 6:40 pm

Lying is wrong, no matter what the purpose.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 8, 2020 at 6:42 pm

I asked the same question to Dr SS and he said if it is just light hearted joking it is allowed. What do you say?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 8, 2020 at 6:43 pm

We also lie when we tell jokes eg x and y walked into a bar

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 8, 2020 at 6:59 pm

When we tell jokes or stories, the listener knows that it’s fiction – that’s not a lie. I can’t comment on how Dr. Saleem interpreted the question or his response, but I’m pretty certain that he would have responded in the same context to where you’re joking around with someone and the person knows that you’re joking.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 8, 2020 at 9:43 pm

Oh sorry I think I was unclear in the original post. I’m not stealing his pen to actually take it. I just take it for maybe 5 minutes as a joke and give it back. That was the lie I was talking about- like me telling him I don’t have it for those five minutes. This would be allowed right? @faisalharoon

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 8, 2020 at 10:20 pm

In my understanding lying is wrong no matter what the purpose. Even when one has to lie in order to save an innocent person’s life, lying still remains wrong but it can be justified. Similarly, when lying just as a light hearted game or to bug your friend for a few minutes, it can possibly be justified. However, it’s a slippery slope, so I would caution against it.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 8, 2020 at 10:21 pm

So if someone chose not to lie to save someone’s life would he be wrong?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 8, 2020 at 10:27 pm

I don’t think that there can be a generic answer to this as situations can vary greatly. The key is that whatever decision we make we have to make it consciously, knowing that we will have to justify it in front of God.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 9, 2020 at 1:49 am

Is deception wrong ? Is deception part of the lie spectrum ?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 9, 2020 at 10:25 am

Yes.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register