Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Quran Recitation For Dead

• Quran Recitation For Dead

Sikander Waheed updated 3 years, 1 month ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • Rafia Khawaja

Member August 7, 2020 at 10:32 pm

The sawab of reading the Qur’an for a deceased does not transfer any sawab to the deceased. The sawab goes to person reading the Qur’an. This is a cultural thing in our part of the world and not a part of the Deen. We should pray for the magfirat of the deceased.

• Muhammad Arham

Member August 7, 2020 at 10:37 pm

Jazak ALLAH Hu Khair

So it’s not part of deen. My question was that if it’s not part of deen it’s cultural things. Is there any harm or GUNNAH doing it?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 7, 2020 at 10:47 pm

There is no sin in reading the Quran and asking for maghfira of the deceased. However, one should be aware that this is not a religious obligation.

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 8, 2020 at 7:47 am

Sorry I did not make my answer clear. Of course there is absolutely no Gunna in reading the Qur’an when somebody has died. I meant to emphasize that many times when a person has died people collect and read 1,00,000 times Qul ho Wala ahad or the Kalma and in the dua the maulvi Sahib requests the sawab of all that has been read to go to the deceased. The sawab cannot be transferred to the deceased but goes to the person reading the Surah. That is why we should pray for the magfirat of the deceased. The above custom is very prevalent in our part of the world.

• Muhammad Arham

Member August 8, 2020 at 8:38 am

G8.

Any reference ayah or Hadith regarding that SWAB can’t be transferred to the deceased one?

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 8, 2020 at 9:22 am

This is what Ghamidi Sahib and other Al Mawrid Scholars have always said. Maybe one of the moderator can send you a clip of Ghamidi Sahib regarding this

• Umer

Moderator August 8, 2020 at 2:11 pm

Please see these threads:

Discussion 8917

Discussion 1314

• Sikander Waheed

Member March 18, 2021 at 12:56 pm

Assalam Wa Alaikum

I’ve read “Discussion 8917″ and “Discussion 1314″ and also watched Ghamidi sahib’s video on Youtube (https://youtu.be/GxD2nu4uj50) about this topic and I completely agree with Ghamidi sahib’s and your explanation from Dr. Khalid Zaheer. However, I have couple of questions related to this topic:

1. When did it become a ritual among Muslims? For example, when explaining the ritual of giving Azaan in the new born’s ears Ghamidi sahib pointed out the time in history when it actually started as a ritual. Similarly, can we trace back in history and know exactly when Quran Khawani started as a ritual among Muslims (perhaps more in the sub-continent)?

2. Another clarification I am trying to get is when did the ritual of reciting Surah Fatiha/4 Quls at the graves started among Muslims? Not sure if people misinterpreted a Hadith whose summary is somewhat like that someone informed Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) about someone’s death and Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) recited “Fatiha” for the deceased. I assume that the “Fatiha” here means dua, not necessarily Surah Fatiha, but many people probably think it as if Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) recited Surah Fatiha. Can you please provide a reference to that Hadith along with its explanation?

JAK

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register