Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums General Discussions Taveez, Dum, Shrines

• Taveez, Dum, Shrines

Posted by Rafia Khawaja on August 10, 2020 at 8:43 am

I would like some knowledge on the practice of people going to Pirs, Shrines, to get Taweez for their sick family members. We all know duas from the Qur’an are very important. But what disturbs me when mentally sick people are taken to shrines instead of doctors, where the head of the shrine can beat and torture him to remove the so called evil spirits which have got into him. I saw a video of a clearly mentally disturbed woman tied in chains at a shrine crying desperately There is very limited psychiatric help available for the poor. Where a dum is done on a disturbed person. Pieces of Qur’an ayats are put in water and drunk by people to solve their issues. Reading Surah Rahman is excellent but will it cure a disease? The Qur’an is a book of guidance, to be read and practiced. The above practices are very prevalent in our part of the world.

I’m very ignorant so please can some one guide me from the Qur’an and Sunnah regarding the above. JazakAllah

Rafia Khawaja replied 3 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Taveez, Dum, Shrines

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 10, 2020 at 9:04 am

Once you submit to blind belief as a person and as a society, there is no limit to stopping these things.. in the name of unseen.

You may find these ideas of evil spirits and supernatural ghosts, outrageous.. but almost all religious persons believe in some sort of un-scientific and unproven faith concepts.. an unproven without evidence belief/faith may lead people to do and justify any immoral thing they would otherwise find very wrong.

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 10, 2020 at 9:22 am

So true, but I want to know in line with the Qur’an and Sunnah

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 10, 2020 at 11:21 am

The real prohibition in Islam is that of polytheism and/or any aspect of immorality that’s generally found in such practices. This is the only reason why these things are discouraged. For details please watch:

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 10, 2020 at 11:29 am

Many thanks. This is excellent

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register