Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and Family Segregation Of Sexes

• Segregation Of Sexes

Posted by Usama Zia on August 11, 2020 at 4:32 am

Maulana Maududi has also pointed out that as the social system of islam is based on marriage in order to make this institution functional and peaceful their should be some etiquettes, which will govern the intermingling of opposite gender.

1- At most woman can only reveal their hands and face

2- There should be a social distance between both genders.

3-woman should not leave their house under normal circumstances beacuse quran has put the responsibility of earning for one’s family on male.

Is all these three points are right? If yes then should we make laws in order to implement them in our society?

Why should wonam leave thier houses under normal circumstances for earning when Allah has decided that financial matters are responsibility of male? Should we specify some jobs that women are allowed to do such as a teacher and a doctor in which above mentioned three points can be satisfied?

Faisal Haroon replied 3 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 40 Replies
  • 40 Replies
  • Rafia Khawaja

Member August 11, 2020 at 8:05 am

My question. Is what Maulana Maududi is saying is it in the Qur’an or Sunnah. ?Maududi Sahib was a great scholar but do we have to accept every word he says? Has the Qur’an forbidden women to work?. One sees in the villages husbands are sitting around smoking, whilst the wives are in the fields. Also sometimes a man has a very low income, which has to be supplemented to maintain the family. What is wrong with this? Why only 3 professions? Why not law, banking architecture

Ghamidi Sahib has said the word Hijab is not mentioned in the Qur’an. Yes, we have to observe the etiquettes of intermingling with the opposite sex.

• Usama Zia

Member August 11, 2020 at 12:02 pm

So you agree that if man is earning enough than there is no need for woman to work as quran states that the responsibility of providing bread and butter is on man.

And also comments on a certain point from above three points so we can discuss further or you disagree with all of them.

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 11, 2020 at 12:57 pm

The Qur’an does not say that if a man is the bread earner the wife can’t work. It is something to be agreed between the husband and wife. The wife may have a passion for her profession. Secondly whatever she earns is hers and the husband cannot take it from her. She can spend whatever she wants on the home and children

I do not agree on any of the 3 points Surah Nur has laid down the etiquettes for the man and the woman’s interactions. We all should follow those. This applies to men also. Keeping an educated woman in the house who can contribute to the society is not right

• Usama Zia

Member August 11, 2020 at 1:12 pm

At the end it all comes to passion! And what about hadiths that are showing the ways to interact?

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 11, 2020 at 1:21 pm

I only accept hadiths which are in line with the Qur’an and Sunnah. The hadith must have some basis in the Qur’an. I consider hadith a footnote of the Qur’an. For me the two sources of my Deen are the Qur’an & Sunnah. The Qur’an has already told me how to interact so why should I need a hadith after I know the directives in the Qur’an ?. Are you trying to tell me I should understand the Qur’an from the hadiths??

You are most welcome to have a different view .

• Usama Zia

Member August 11, 2020 at 1:29 pm

What about surah ahzab ghamdi sahib says that commandments given in them are meant only for prophet wives.

But lets us have a look on Maududi shaib’s argument. Please Tell me if you have a counter narrative.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 12, 2020 at 10:24 am

Valid question .. but different interpreters will use their own meaning and limit it for wives of the Prophet alone.

• Ayema Zahoor

Member August 11, 2020 at 2:18 pm

I want to show you tailor of the real world

https://youtu.be/G-GnJYFMi3c

• Ayema Zahoor

Member August 11, 2020 at 2:26 pm

Now tell me is this ever happened to an educated working woman’s children After watching this I can feel how helpless is a poor mother even she couldn’t protect her daughters. This is only one example there are many similar incidents a woman bear in her routine life. Now I want to answer your next question

• Ayema Zahoor

Member August 11, 2020 at 2:29 pm
  • Usama Zia

Member August 11, 2020 at 2:31 pm

I have already listened to his vidoes and read his book meezan with great care only then i am comparing both school of thoughts. Please read the contents in photos given above and then comment.

• Usama Zia

Member August 11, 2020 at 2:34 pm

Regarding to vani video i condemn it and it should be censured but making it the foundation of your argument you can’t ignore the social system of islam.

• Ayema Zahoor

Member August 11, 2020 at 2:46 pm

That’s way I agree with Ghamidi sahib you should listen his other lectures about parda and should we only condemn? Shouldn’t take step to stop it. I think an educated, financially strong woman can take better steps for the betterment of her family and protection. So we need educated and strong mothers for our next generations not uneducated, depressed and week women. So I agree with Ghamidi sahib what does he says about hijab I am totally agree a woman’s dress should be modest.

• Ayema Zahoor

Member August 11, 2020 at 2:48 pm

Sorry I couldn’t read it is almost unreadable can you plz send it again?

• Ayema Zahoor

Member August 11, 2020 at 2:56 pm

Due to this religious thinking even we cannot bann child marriag in Pakistan because most of the mollan say that there is no age limit in Islam for marriage plz don’t think I am anti Islam I am only against this type of thinking.

• Ayema Zahoor

Member August 11, 2020 at 2:57 pm

I agree with this video

https://youtu.be/WKSgA1xNcMY

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 11, 2020 at 3:08 pm

Women need to be educated and stand on their feet and financially strong. Picture this scenario. A husband suddenly dies leaving a helpless widow and children. If the woman is unable to work how will she support her family?. Let them starve. ?Maybe her parents have died who will help her? A woman has to be educated to be able to have a say in her affairs in this life. Poor young girls are married off to old men, for financial reasons. Poor fathers are forced to sell off their daughters because they cannot pay their debts. This is a cruel world. Let’s please be realistic not idealistic

• Saba Madani

Member August 11, 2020 at 4:59 pm

No other religion commands it’s people to be educated more than our deen Islam, regardless of gender. Our women should be as educated as men. Also there were so many working women in our muslim history. Khdijah( ummul mumineen)

was a business woman. Ayesha (R) was Commander in chief of an army at one point..

Who says ,in islam women can’t get the education they want ?

Who says that they are not allowed to work in whichever field they like to work?

I don’t think a scholar like Maududi says that.

All he tried to say is that Muslim women should follow certain etiquettes when it comes to dress and behavior. Makes perfect sense to me. We Muslim women are encouraged to study ,allowed to persue any career of our choice , it doesn’t mean that we look and behave exactly as non muslim women do. We should be conscious that we are believing women. Submitted ourselves to Allah. (Muslims)

• Ayema Zahoor

Member August 11, 2020 at 5:26 pm

I totally agreed that’s why I said that Ghamidi sahib is right in his opinion or research. But I am against those opinions that’s are totally different from Ghamidi sahib.mollana Maududi is a human so we can reject his opinion if we don’t agree and can follow another scholar’s opinion. I also disagree sorry to say the opinion of Molana Maududi on talaq and agree with other scholars like Ghamidi sahib, mollana Abdul rehman and Fermat Hashmi on this issue.

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 11, 2020 at 6:09 pm

Totally agree with both of you. Dressing modestly and behaving in a decent proper manner when mixing with men is ingrained in us Muslim women. I think one should listen to every scholar Ghamidi Sahib, Maulana Maududi, Noman Ali Khan. You do not have to accept every view of one scholar. Whatever appeals to your intellect accept that. I accept Ghamidi Sahib’s views on Purdah, on another issue some other scholar’s views may convince me more They are human beings.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 12, 2020 at 4:03 am

If you have to finally use your intellect, then what is the point of scholars who studied Islam for their entire lives ?

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 11, 2020 at 6:30 pm

Nobody is against Islam, I am against misinterpretation of Islam

• Ayema Zahoor

Member August 11, 2020 at 6:43 pm

Yes! Totally agree , if I am wrong ‘you can correct me. We are here all students trying to learn from each other.

• Saba Madani

Member August 11, 2020 at 6:45 pm

Same here. Totally agree with Rafia and Ayema

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 11, 2020 at 9:29 pm

Yes we are here to learn from each other about our Deen and May the Almighty help all of us

• Saba Madani

Member August 11, 2020 at 9:57 pm

Ameen

• Ayema Zahoor

Member August 11, 2020 at 9:58 pm

Ameen

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 12, 2020 at 8:46 am

Does every scholar interpret Islam properly. ? If they did then there would be just one opinion,

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 12, 2020 at 9:15 am

No, but rejecting the scholar’s opinion, just because it doesn’t suit our intellect, isn’t correct. Since Allah hasn’t specified any one interpretation of the Qur’an, we have different versions of truth available, based on different styles of interpreting the text.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 12, 2020 at 9:40 am

Please see this for detailed explanation by Ghamidi sahab on parda for women:

Discussion 22603

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 12, 2020 at 6:17 pm

Use your intellect

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 12, 2020 at 8:50 pm

If you use your intellect and find a Qur’an verse contradict your intellectual reasoning, what will you do ?

• Saba Madani

Member August 12, 2020 at 8:58 pm

Take Qur’an and leave your intellect behind. Because your intellect is also created by the One who revealed Qur’an

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 12, 2020 at 8:59 pm

Leave your intellect behind ??

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 12, 2020 at 10:42 pm

When I use my intellect I will understand the Qur’an better. The Qur’an cannot contradict my intellectuals reasoning, my reasoning will help me understand it better

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 12, 2020 at 10:52 pm

Qur’an verse interpretations contradicts many people’s intellectual reasoning.. but if you already have so much faith in one interpretation of Qur’an verse then obviously you will try to fit that verse according to your own reasoning rather than what Allah really said.. like we saw in 4:34 or 33:59.

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 13, 2020 at 8:58 am

Is there any other way of understanding the Qur’an tell me please?

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 13, 2020 at 10:57 am

I am not an expert on it, as I am learning too, but what I find in my reading is that many interpretations of a verse exist, different scholars view the verse meaning and applicability in current time differently, specially on women, the verses like 33:59 differ in many interpretations if that is applicable ONLY to the Prophet’s time or even now.

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 13, 2020 at 11:39 am

Again you have to decide which interpretation of which scholar convinces you the most and accept it! That is what I do!

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator August 13, 2020 at 1:34 pm

Ghamidi sahab has explained his viewpoint, it’s evidence from Quran and sunnah, and all other aspects of it including response to every criticism on his understanding in the following:

Discussion 22603

The discussion "Segregation Of Sexes" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now