Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Youth and Islam Can Muslims Have Non-Muslim Friends?

• Can Muslims Have Non-Muslim Friends?

Posted by Yusuf Akhtar on August 18, 2020 at 8:32 am

In Surah Al-Imran in verses 118-120 it says “Take not as (your) bitnah those outside your religion since they will not fail to do their best to corrupt you.” Does this mean that I cannot have non-Muslim friends? And if yes then how do I avoid them? I go to school with mainly Christian people.

Umer replied 3 years, 7 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • Can Muslims Have Non-Muslim Friends?

Umer updated 3 years, 7 months ago 4 Members · 5 Replies
  • Faizan Ahmed

Member August 18, 2020 at 9:03 am

The verse is referring to the non Muslims that were at the time of the prophet(SAW). The prophet(SAW) invited them to Islam and after Itmam e Hujjat, they were going to be punished. At this time it is said that Muslims should not take friends but from among themselves.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 18, 2020 at 9:06 am

In the verse 2:221 when Allah prohibits marrying the Mushrikeen, does it also not apply to current polytheists ?

• Faizan Ahmed

Member August 18, 2020 at 9:12 am

The problem there is of shirk and tauheed. Both cannot come together under one roof. So no Muslims cannot marry those that do shirk.

• Sameer Bhagwat

Contributor August 18, 2020 at 9:21 am

But the verse 2:221 talks about not marrying the Mushrikeen.. if that verse is applicable for not marrying all polytheists for all time, then how can at other places the word Mushrikeen mean specific Pagans at the time of Prophet ?

If the verse 2:221 had said “anyone who commits shirk” then the issue would have been clear, as Christians also commit shirk but the verse 2:221 doesn’t refer to them.

• Umer

Moderator August 18, 2020 at 2:01 pm

Please see this for further understanding:

Discussion 1378

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register