Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Seafood In General Halal?

• Seafood In General Halal?

Umer updated 2 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 11 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator August 21, 2020 at 3:55 pm

Where is Quran clear that all seafood is halal?

The same principle of Taiyyabaat and Khabaais will be applied to seafood as well–of which Beastly (Darindagi) and Non-Beastly nature are the most distinguishing factors.

These two videos will further elaborate the point. Please refer to the video below from 1:14:53 to 1:16:23

https://youtu.be/raf8eKjlC2s?t=4493

• Umer

Moderator August 21, 2020 at 3:55 pm

Please refer to the video below from 1:13:10 to 1:17:21

https://youtu.be/l8e41bvd73M?t=4390

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 21, 2020 at 7:56 pm

@UmerQureshi

Al-Ma’idah – 5:96

Arabic

أُحِلَّ لَكُمۡ صَيۡدُ ٱلۡبَحۡرِ وَطَعَامُهُۥ مَتَٰعًا لَّكُمۡ وَلِلسَّيَّارَةِۖ وَحُرِّمَ عَلَيۡكُمۡ صَيۡدُ ٱلۡبَرِّ مَا دُمۡتُمۡ حُرُمًاۗ وَٱتَّقُواْ ٱللَّهَ ٱلَّذِىٓ إِلَيۡهِ تُحۡشَرُونَ

English – Sahih International

Lawful to you is game from the sea and its food as provision for you and the travelers, but forbidden to you is game from the land as long as you are in the state of ihram. And fear Allah to whom you will be gathered.

Also in the video Ghamidi sahab mentioned goh is halal. If my research is correct this is a Bengal monitor – but this is a carnivore and at least my fitrah doesn’t accept eating a lizard like that- why isn’t the usul given here?

Are squids then predators?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 22, 2020 at 4:02 am

@UmerQureshi

Also Ghamidi sahab said pigs are haraam because they’ll also eat meat if it is put before them-

Cows will also do this

• Umer

Moderator August 22, 2020 at 8:06 am

This directive of Quran that you’re referring to also says that “forbidden to you is game from the land”, this should mean that land animals are absolutely haram? of course not! because we need to put the verse in its context i.e. the verse is discussing about restrictions of ihraam, it is not discussing hurmat and hillat of animals in general. Therefore, when put in context, it means “Lawful to you is game from the sea and its food (whatever is halal) as provision for you and the travelers, but forbidden to you is game from the land (even that which is halal for you) as long as you are in the state of ihram”.

This is answer to the question that if Hunting is prohibited during ihraam, does that only refers to hunting of land animals or hunting of sea animals as well. the latter was allowed to avoid any major inconvenience for the travelers.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 22, 2020 at 8:10 am

The directive about seafood seems to be general and overarching- the one about land game has a condition attached instantly suggesting that it was general until this condition came

• Umer

Moderator August 22, 2020 at 8:12 am

It is one sentence in the same flow qualified with condition of ihraam.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 22, 2020 at 8:13 am

Yes and the seafood has no such qualifier attached suggesting it is an overall allowance of all game from the sea

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 22, 2020 at 8:29 am

Is this a correct intepretation?

• Umer

Moderator August 22, 2020 at 8:44 am

I have already expressed my understanding of the verse, but if you’re more inclined to see it the other way, that’s fine.

• Umer

Moderator November 29, 2021 at 4:49 am

The discussion "Seafood In General Halal?" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now