Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Musa عليه السلام Fire- Who Was In It?

• Musa عليه السلام Fire- Who Was In It?

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on August 22, 2020 at 4:31 am

An-Naml – 27:8

Arabic

فَلَمَّا جَآءَهَا نُودِىَ أَنۢ بُورِكَ مَن فِى ٱلنَّارِ وَمَنۡ حَوۡلَهَا وَسُبۡحَٰنَ ٱللَّهِ رَبِّ ٱلۡعَٰلَمِينَ

English – Sahih International

But when he came to it, he was called, “Blessed is whoever is at the fire and whoever is around it. And exalted is Allah, Lord of the worlds.

Was Musa عليه السلام in the Fire and Angela around him? As some people say I think God was in the fire I’m note sure

Ahmad Shoaib replied 3 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • Musa عليه السلام Fire- Who Was In It?

Ahmad Shoaib updated 3 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 15 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator August 22, 2020 at 6:13 pm

إِذْ قَالَ مُوسَى لِأَهْلِهِ إِنِّیْ آنَسْتُ نَارًا سَآتِيْكُمْ مِّنْهَا بِخَبَرٍ أَوْ آتِيكُم بِشِهَابٍ قَبَسٍ لَّعَلَّكُمْ تَصْطَلُوْنَ. فَلَمَّا جَآءَهَا نُوْدِیَ أَنْ بُورِكَ مَنْ فِی النَّارِ وَمَنْ حَوْلَهَا وَسُبْحَانَ اللَّهِ رَبِّ الْعَالَمِيْنَ.

“[And in order to understand this favour of God on yourself] remember the incident when Moses said to his family: “I have seen something like fire. [Stay here, you people while] I bring now some news for you from there or an ember of fire so that you can warm yourselves.” So, when he reached it, a voice came:[11] “Blessed be He Who is in this Fire and those also who are around it. [12] And exalted is God, Lord of the Worlds”. [13] (27:7-8)

(Excerpt from Quranic Exegesis: Javed Ahmed Ghamidi)

(Tranlated by Dr. Shehzad Saleem)

[11] A passive verb is used here in the text. It denotes vagueness and magnification. In other words, he did hear a voice but could not determine its direction and source.

[12]. Ie., the angels of God. The word “blessed” used here not only denotes a fact but it is also a means of assurance for Moses (sws): he should not feel scared after hearing the voice. It is the voice of the blessed being of God that has manifested itself with His blessed angels in the veil of fire.

[13]. Since a voice coming from fire could give the impression of confinement and pantheism, it was stated to dispel this impression that Moses (sws) should be informed that, while being above all confinements and defects, it was the manifestation of the being who is the Lord of the worlds that he has seen in the Fire. Thus, He can address His servants whenever He wants to and in whichever way He wants to.

• Umer

Moderator August 24, 2020 at 11:30 am

I don’t know and neither am I inclined to know.

At another place, Quran (28:30), it is mentioned that voice came from the nearby tree.

This is one of the way (among three) that God used to communicate with prophets, the reality of these events can’t be known by us. (Please see the caption “The Essence of Prophethood” for further details: Discussion 15736)

The Quran has specified that nature of wahi is beyond the comprehension of man:

وَيَسْأَلُوْنَكَ عَنِ الرُّوْحِ قُلِ الرُّوْحُ مِنْ أَمْرِ رَبِّيْ وَمَآ أُوتِيْتُمْ مِّنِ الْعِلْمِ إِلاَّ قَلِيْلاً (85:17)

And they ask you about al-ruh [– ie. the wahi –]. Tell them: “This al-ruh is from among my Lord’s command. Little indeed is the knowledge given to you.” (17:85)

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 14, 2020 at 8:08 pm

Could the he actually be ‘it’ and be referring to the voice? The Quran mentioned this and it doesn’t seem like a mutashabihaat. It can’t be God in the fire.

• Umer

Moderator September 16, 2020 at 6:06 am

It will only be conjecture and also my hands are tied because of Quran-17:85

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 7, 2020 at 1:33 pm

But this is not chasing mutashabihaat. This is something occurring in real life and someone/something is in the fire who is being blessed. Now is this the voice, Musa عليه السلام , or angels?

• Umer

Moderator November 8, 2020 at 11:26 am

My answer would still be a reference to 17:85.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 8, 2020 at 11:27 am

But why? This is not asking about some matter that is a mutashabihaat or related to the being of God. It is simply asking what was in the fire.

• Umer

Moderator November 8, 2020 at 11:28 am

It is wahi and we have no way of knowing how that works.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 8, 2020 at 11:29 am

This is not asking about how Musa عليه السلام got the wahi in his heart or how God sent his voice or whatever. It is simply asking what is the Quran referring to when it says ‘blessed is he/it in the fire’. If we do not know who this he/it is or we can’t know then what is the purpose of mentioning it?

• Umer

Moderator November 8, 2020 at 11:38 am

Form the face of it, it seems that He refers to God of course but your question will not end here and I can’t offer any further explanation in this regard as to how and why.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 8, 2020 at 11:39 am

That’s fine. That’s all I was wondering. If it refers to God or not. If it does we know the usul that this is to do with the affairs of God that we can’t understand. And we have the usul of not believing in pantheism so we just leave it at that.

👌

• Umer

Moderator November 8, 2020 at 11:40 am

ThumbsupThumbsup

So finally! I am off the hookJoy

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor November 8, 2020 at 11:41 am

😆

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register