Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Fasting On The Day Of Aashurah

Tagged: , ,

• Fasting On The Day Of Aashurah

Posted by Saba Madani on August 23, 2020 at 12:25 pm

Abbas (may Allah be pleased with him) said: “The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) came to Madinah and saw the Jews fasting on the day of ‘Ashura’. He said, ‘What is this?’ They said, ‘This is a righteous day, it is the day when Allah saved the Children of Israel from their enemies, so Musa fasted on this day.’ He said, ‘We have more right to Musa than you,’ so he fasted on that day and commanded [the Muslims] to fast on that day.” [Reported by al-Bukhari

Based on the above narration, we used to fast on the day of aashurah. What’s Ghamidi Sb’s opinion on it?

Ahmad Shoaib replied 3 years ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Fasting On The Day Of Aashurah

Ahmad Shoaib updated 3 years ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator August 23, 2020 at 4:43 pm

Please see the first reply posted here:

Discussion 14832

• Saba Madani

Member August 24, 2020 at 1:27 am

Jazaka Allahu khaira, Br. Umer

• Bushra

Member August 24, 2020 at 6:53 pm

Br. Umer,

Do we have to add a day before or after the 10th Muharram and fast on it? I have heard that we cannot just fast for 10th alone, it has to be either 9th-10th muharram or 10th-11th Muharram? Is this understanding correct?

• Umer

Moderator August 24, 2020 at 7:27 pm

As per my understanding, there are plenty of ahadith that talk about only fast of 10th Muharram (Ashura) and in a few Prophet (sws) did show intention to fast on 9th as well in the coming year but He (sws) passed away before that. Therefore, you can do either.

• Saba Madani

Member August 24, 2020 at 7:24 pm

If we can fast for 2 days, then we can fast either 9th, 10th or 10th, 11th.

If we can fast for one day only then it’s ok to fast just on 10th.

This is my understanding based on different ahadeeth regarding this issue. Br.Umer! Correct me if I’m wrong please

• Umer

Moderator August 24, 2020 at 7:31 pm

I have similar understanding.

• Bushra

Member August 25, 2020 at 1:04 am

JazakAllah khair.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor April 16, 2021 at 8:19 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1y9odqE1A4&t=3409s .It seems the cause of the fast wasn’t the Jewish ideas rather because the kaaba was reclothed by the Arabs

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register