Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Niyaaz

• Posted by Beenish Hussain on August 27, 2020 at 1:01 pm

Is NIYAZ which is served in Muharram by Shias haram to eat considering it’s distributed in the name of other than Allah? No offense to any Shias. I am asking this question without any “fikr” and strictly from Quran.

On contrary some people argue that common people also distribute food when there is good news or a tragedy auch as a a funeral. If that’s not haraam then why food at Niyaz or ditasahab would be?

Thanks

Rafia Khawaja replied 3 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Farhan Saiyed

Moderator August 27, 2020 at 1:21 pm

Niyaz is haram as per Quranic direction (2:173) which says any food dedicated to anyone other than God is haraam. Nayaaz is not like food served at regular funerals or weddings, Nayaaz food is always dedicated to a person while regular event food is not dedicated to any person.

• Muhammad Wasif

Member August 27, 2020 at 2:11 pm

How is there a difference people distribute food on death anniversary that may Allah grant him the sawab ko this. In Nayaz it’s done the same! Please clarify

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 27, 2020 at 5:45 pm

I have been to a Niyaaz where they all first read” Bibi Fatima kee kahani”. After this niaz is served which they say is in the name of Allah.

Could some one explain if this Rawiyat of Bibi Fatima kee kahani is correct ? Secondly is it all right to eat this Niazi?

• Beenish Hussain

Member August 27, 2020 at 7:29 pm

I think Niaaz is considered sacred food while food distributed on death anniversary is not sacred. This is how Shias themselves define it too. I would refrain myself from it.

• Farhan Saiyed

Moderator August 27, 2020 at 9:35 pm

One exception that Ghamidi sb mentioned, when my wife asked him the same question, was one can check with the host what their intentions were, many people do Niyaaz without knowing that just for sake of remembering someone, if they say that no food is dedicated to someone other that God then it might be OK, however I would still avoid it personally.

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 28, 2020 at 6:49 am

Yes, I did exactly that.I asked my hostess. She said every Muharram they sit down and read Bibi Fatima’s story in remembrance of Bibi Fatima. Then every one eats the Niaz which is always in the name of Allah.!

So I accepted what she said and ate the Niaz which was a sweet kheer eaten with pooris!

• Umer

Moderator August 30, 2020 at 5:29 am

In recent Q&A session with Ghamidi Sahab on questions selected from AskGhamidi Platform:

For answer to your question, please refer to the video below from 1:16:14 to 1:17:44

https://youtu.be/u9S64cSYaUg?t=4574

• Muhammad Wasif

Member August 30, 2020 at 7:54 am

Got it. So if someone offers food at funeral and that on death anniversary for esal e sawab. Is that fine ?

• Umer

Moderator August 30, 2020 at 8:47 am

The whole activity of ‘Khatam’ is itself a Bidat. Please read this response by Sajid Hameed Sahab on Khatam.

Discussion 25460 • Reply 27074

• Muhammad Wasif

Member August 30, 2020 at 8:58 am

So what should we do in this regard if our own family is doing it. Like my father distributes food on death anniversary of his mother. (My grandmother). But not that khatam thing. Only food distribution

• Umer

Moderator August 30, 2020 at 9:00 am

If it is in the name of Allah only, then I don’t think there should be any issue with eating that food.

• Muhammad Wasif

Member August 30, 2020 at 9:04 am

Yes it is in the name of Allah but they believe that its sawab will be to the dead one. (That’s a bidah i get that)

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 30, 2020 at 2:59 pm

The Niyyaz I went to in Muharram they said it was in remembrance of Bibi Fatima and the Niyyaz was in Allah’s name so I thought that was fine.

The discussion "Niyaaz" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now