Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Killing One Soul….

Tagged: ,

• Killing One Soul….

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on August 28, 2020 at 5:59 am

Al-Ma’idah – 5:32

Arabic

مِنۡ أَجۡلِ ذَٰلِكَ كَتَبۡنَا عَلَىٰ بَنِىٓ إِسۡرَٰٓءِيلَ أَنَّهُۥ مَن قَتَلَ نَفۡسًۢا بِغَيۡرِ نَفۡسٍ أَوۡ فَسَادٍ فِى ٱلۡأَرۡضِ فَكَأَنَّمَا قَتَلَ ٱلنَّاسَ جَمِيعًا وَمَنۡ أَحۡيَاهَا فَكَأَنَّمَآ أَحۡيَا ٱلنَّاسَ جَمِيعًاۚ وَلَقَدۡ جَآءَتۡهُمۡ رُسُلُنَا بِٱلۡبَيِّنَٰتِ ثُمَّ إِنَّ كَثِيرًا مِّنۡهُم بَعۡدَ ذَٰلِكَ فِى ٱلۡأَرۡضِ لَمُسۡرِفُونَ

English – Sahih International

Because of that, We decreed upon the Children of Israel that whoever kills a soul unless for a soul or for corruption [done] in the land – it is as if he had slain mankind entirely. And whoever saves one – it is as if he had saved mankind entirely. And our messengers had certainly come to them with clear proofs. Then indeed many of them, [even] after that, throughout the land, were transgressors.

JAG tafsir

This law has always existed in the sharī‘ah of the prophets of God. The Jews are referred to here merely to highlight their callousness and unruliness. This does not mean that this law is specific to the Israelites. Thus the directive which was given to Noah (sws) in this regard is mentioned in the following words in the Bible:

And for your lifeblood I will surely demand an accounting. I will demand an accounting from every animal. And from each human being, too, I will demand an accounting for the life of another human being. Whoever sheds human blood, by humans shall their blood be shed; for in the image of God has God made mankind. (Genesis, 9:5-6)

I don’t understand how Ghamidi sahab explained that this law is NOT specific to Jews as the ayah doesn’t talk about it being specific or not it seems

Umer replied 3 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • Killing One Soul….

Umer updated 3 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • Saira Qureshi

Member August 28, 2020 at 7:57 am

If u allow me , I request u to read the translation of the aya first, then the aya before it and after it. It will explain. Actually there is no difference between the two tafsirs.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor August 28, 2020 at 9:23 am

So would you say that the point being put across is that the same thing and ruling applied from the time of Adam عليه السلام to Bani Israel to Muhammad ‎﴾ﷺ﴿ ?

• Umer

Moderator August 28, 2020 at 8:08 pm

The point being that taking of a human’s life has always been considered a big sin since the start of human race and it forms a part of human’s basic morality.

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register