Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and Science Cousin Marriage

Tagged: ,

• Cousin Marriage

Posted by Monis Saeed on August 29, 2020 at 12:10 am

why did Islam never ban cousin marriages? Cousin marriages cause serious medical issues .Why did Allah being the creator never banned it ? Many biblical accounts for cousin marriage. Ali RA married Fatima RA , they were cousins too ?

Mashhood Irfan replied 3 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • Cousin Marriage

Mashhood Irfan updated 3 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 11 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator August 29, 2020 at 4:42 am

Please refer to the video below from 26:55 to 29:54

https://youtu.be/6tZYLtAIhGA?t=1615

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 29, 2020 at 2:31 pm

What I understand is that from medical point of view cousin marriages should not be allowed. As it happens all the weaknesses and defects of the couple come into the child. I know of couple first cousins whose children have very short arms as this defect is in the family! Of course there are cousin marriages where the children are totally normal. In Western countries cousin marriages are not allowed at all for health issues

• Monis Saeed

Member August 29, 2020 at 4:42 pm

I don’t think so , it’s a myth , the have taken some data and in US some states have banned or penalized first cousin marriages. Why would they do so?

• Mashhood Irfan

Member August 30, 2020 at 2:24 am

The data is in. They have rationaled it too as to why it is a myth.

• Monis Saeed

Member August 30, 2020 at 10:18 pm

but , we have examples here and there, deformities in kids born with cousin marriages.

• Mashhood Irfan

Member August 30, 2020 at 10:21 pm

Don’t we also have examples of deformities in non-cousin marriages? Anecdotes are not regarded as evidence in the scientific community. And regarding laws against it, the lawmakers should be asked as to why haven’t they forbidden marriages with genetically disabled individuals too?

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 29, 2020 at 4:46 pm

I can only tell from experience. We have lots of cousin marriages in families and friends. Some have had lot of weaknesses and others are fine. I personally think it is better to marry out of the family unless circumstances demand otherwise. Asking a doctor is a good idea

• Monis Saeed

Member August 30, 2020 at 12:01 am

But again a non believer can ask if Allah knew all that why didn’t He forbade it in the first place

• Rafia Khawaja

Member August 30, 2020 at 1:30 am

I don’t think Allah gave any instructions regarding marriage. These cousin marriages medical issues were not present when the Qur’an was being revealed. Just as Allah has told us to look after our health, but he has not told us what food to avoid if we have diabetes or heart disease. These things are the modern discoveries by medical science and research.

• Monis Saeed

Member August 30, 2020 at 10:17 pm

makes sense , thanks

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register