Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Youth and Islam Buying And Selling And Who You Buy From And What They’ll Do With It

Tagged: , ,

• Buying And Selling And Who You Buy From And What They’ll Do With It

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on September 2, 2020 at 2:33 am

I was pondering on buying and selling from places where we KNOW the revenue generated will be further used to buy haraam products such as alcohol.

The same way we wouldn’t buy food from a drug addict knowing he will buy drugs and do harm to himself and maybe even others is it correct to them buy general items from these supermarkets when we know they sell items that have the same effect?

Faisal Haroon replied 3 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 26 Replies
  • 26 Replies
  • Buying And Selling And Who You Buy From And What They’ll Do With It

Faisal Haroon updated 3 years, 8 months ago 3 Members · 26 Replies
  • Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 2, 2020 at 12:52 pm

I’m not sure if I understand your question correctly. Are you talking about grocery stores?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 2, 2020 at 1:12 pm

Exactly sir

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 2, 2020 at 1:48 pm

Okay then I fail to understand the logic. If you quit buying from the grocery stores, will they not be able to sell alcohol?

Also in the example of drug addict, why would you not buy something from him? How can you be certain that he’s not trying to quit drugs and lead a sober life?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 2, 2020 at 1:51 pm

But me buying will still help them sell alcohol. I am still party and helping them

If I know he’s an addict standing in a shady alleyway with a known dealer and I need to buy something from him is it correct?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 2, 2020 at 1:55 pm

In both cases if you’re conducting legal and moral transactions then you have no blame for what they do with their money. Yes, if you’re certain that you not buying from them will stop them from doing something wrong then you have to weigh your options.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 2, 2020 at 1:57 pm

Sorry but how is it moral to hand a drug addict money in front of a drug dealer?

Do my needs surpass his well-being?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 2, 2020 at 2:50 pm

Okay, so it moral to buy something from a drug addict NOT in front of a drug dealer?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 2, 2020 at 2:50 pm

Sure if you don’t know he’s going to do it I guess.

But I know that these grocery stores are going to use my money to sell alcohol for sure

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 2, 2020 at 2:53 pm

So are you certain that he’s going to use that money to buy drugs?

If you don’t buy from him, can you buy what you need elsewhere?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 2, 2020 at 2:54 pm

I’m not certain and that’s why I will go with what’s most probable.

If I can’t fulfil it what should I do? Reassess the necessity of the need perhaps?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 2, 2020 at 3:05 pm

I don’t think that you have any basis for not giving him your business because in your opinion he will use that money for something wrong. Perhaps, he will buy food with that money for his hungry kids, or use it to travel to a place of worship – you don’t know. Besides, by not buying from him, are you really stopping him from anything? Or could he sell his merchandise to another customer? You’re only responsible for making sure that your part of the transaction is legal, moral, and fair. You’re not responsible for his deeds.

If you’re certain that he will use that money for some bad deed, and you know that by not buying from him he won’t commit that deed, then yes you have to reassess your need.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 2, 2020 at 3:07 pm

So If I am certain the grocery store will do this (the more pertinent and common issue arguably than buying from a drug addict in an alley 😂😂) does the same rule apply?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 2, 2020 at 3:08 pm

Yes, the same rules remain the same.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 2, 2020 at 3:11 pm

With your argument about are you really stopping him? If I stop someone from murdering one person am I really stopping him? He will just run away and kill someone else?

The point is that I have ikhtiyar in this matter to help or not help. To give them my money or not.

I can only think of one thing which is that we live in a non Muslim society and here for ease the rulings may be waived slightly

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 2, 2020 at 3:18 pm

I understand, and I agree that you should use your ikhtiyar carefully. However, in your drug addict example I don’t think that you have any basis for not buying from him just because you think that he might buy drugs with that money. What if as a result of you not buying from him, he steals and then goes on to buy drugs? Do you then have the blame for theft?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 2, 2020 at 3:20 pm

Yes sir I agree with your analysis of the drug addict example.

Could you elaborate on how then we should fulfil our needs of grocery in a non Muslim society if the rulings are the same and we are certain a portion of the money we are payi will go to sell alcohol (whereas for the drug addict we are unsure)

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 2, 2020 at 3:31 pm

As I stated, the same principle applies. You’re only responsible for making sure that your transaction with the grocery store is legal and moral. By not giving them your business, you’re not stopping them from anything. If you’re really concerned about an alcohol free society, you should campaign for it and make positive effort to bring about the change you’re looking for. Similarly in the example of the drug addict, if you really want to help solve the problem, then talk to him and offer whatever help you can. It’s natural for us humans to look at things from a negative angle, but in doing so a majority of the time we’re only hurting our own selves. Almost always a positive way exists to deal with any situation. Yes, the positive way requires much more effort and the chances of it working out look bleak, but if we persevere, there’s a much better chance of us really making a difference.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 2, 2020 at 3:33 pm

But if we adopt the attitude of ‘are we really stopping them’ then no change will ever occur

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 2, 2020 at 3:35 pm

I just gave you the recipe for making change happen 😄😄😄. Read my last message again.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 2, 2020 at 3:39 pm

So why should we on the one hand campaign for stopping the drinking of alcohol and on the other hand where we have the possibility to stop it in a practical sense not do so?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 2, 2020 at 3:43 pm

I’m not saying that you should let go of any opportunity to practically stop it. What I’m saying is that not buying groceries from a store that sells alcohol won’t stop anything. If you’re really concerned about the problem, you should run a campaign for an alcohol free city. It’s much more work, but if you succeed, you will really make a difference. By not buying from the store, you only put your own self in trouble.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 2, 2020 at 3:44 pm

Ok thank you so much sir for your time and explanation

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 2, 2020 at 3:46 pm

My pleasure!

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 2, 2020 at 1:54 pm

The link is broken apparently

• $ohail T@hir

Moderator September 2, 2020 at 1:55 pm
  • Ahmad Shoaib