Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Wiping Ear Wudu

Tagged: ,

• Wiping Ear Wudu

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on September 2, 2020 at 6:37 pm

Is wiping ear a fard part of wiping the head?

All parts of the ear including all sides of all contours and the little thing that sticks out from the face side of the ear?

What is wiping vs washing when it comes to ear?

Haseeb Faisal replied 1 year, 6 months ago 3 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Wiping Ear Wudu

Haseeb Faisal updated 1 year, 6 months ago 3 Members · 13 Replies
  • Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 2, 2020 at 6:39 pm

This is the little part I mean because it is usually not wiped but could be considered part of the ear

• Umer

Moderator September 3, 2020 at 8:41 pm

Ear wiping is not farz but the hair should be wiped completely because the use of ’ ب‘ in ’وَامْسَحُوْا بِرُءُ وْسِکُمْ (Quran 5:6) signifies completeness. Ear wiping can help to further that completeness but it is not farz.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 5, 2021 at 4:18 pm

Does this mean that every strand of hair needs to be wiped or only from where the hairline normally begins to where the top of the neck begins in one motion? Because if every strand of hair needs to be wiped then I doubt one motion alone will cover that. JazakAllah.

• Umer

Moderator December 6, 2021 at 6:17 am

Use of term Masah itself implies that it is not necessary to wipe every strand of hair, however, that masah needs to be done thoroughly.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member December 6, 2021 at 9:16 pm

JazakAllah that makes sense. If I use both hands to wipe my head with water from the hairline to the top of the neck in one motion, is this considered “thorough”? I’m sure that it’s mainly the top of the my head and only some portions of the sides of my head that are wiped in this manner, but I don’t rush the motion. And if someone doesn’t go exactly from the hairline to the top of the neck, but the lesser of these boundaries, could this still fall under being done “thoroughly”? JazakAllah for your help.

• Umer

Moderator December 7, 2021 at 1:43 pm

Yes, it will be considered thorough and there will be a little variance in everyone’s way of doing masah and it’s perfectly fine.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member January 5, 2022 at 12:43 pm

Asalamualaikum Mr. Umer Qureshi,

I know you said that wudu should be done naturally and that there can be a little variation in masah specifically. But, I noticed that I only wet my fingers when doing masah and maybe not all the way to the end of the finger every time. I’m wondering if this prevents my masah from being thorough? Or should I at least make sure the entire fingers are wet?

• Umer

Moderator January 6, 2022 at 4:25 am

Masah naturally is not meant to make you wet, so making your fingers wet not all the way down would also suffice i.e. which happens in your natural course of action while doing masah.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member September 21, 2022 at 3:42 pm

Asalamualaikum Mr. Umer Qureshi,

There is also one other aspect of masah over the head that bothers me from time to time. In the process of wetting the fingers to perform masah over head, would there be any problem if any of the fingers does not become wet at all? As long as the requirement of wiping the head completely and thoroughly is met, there shouldn’t be an issue? For example, one’s pinky may not have become wet, but I highly doubt this would get in the way of wiping the head completely. And if some of the fingers not being wetted at all did get in the way of wiping the head completely, then the person would know, correct?

• Umer

Moderator September 22, 2022 at 10:37 pm

If something like this happens during normal course of doing Masah, then you don’t need to bother about it.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member September 22, 2022 at 10:52 pm

JazakAllah Mr. Umer Qureshi,

Is it because of the reason that I’ve given, or is there another reason behind that?

JazakAllah

• Umer

Moderator September 22, 2022 at 11:06 pm

Masah is a symbolic expression, so if any of the fingers did not get wet inadvertently, it won’t effect the symbol of wiping hands over head, which is done properly either way.

• Haseeb Faisal

Member September 23, 2022 at 10:18 am

JazakAllah Mr. Umer Qureshi!

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register