Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islam and State Zakat Heads And Tax

Tagged: ,

• Zakat Heads And Tax

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on September 5, 2020 at 12:33 pm

Ghamidi sahab says zakat can be fulfilled by tax. Isn’t this conditional only as long as the state to which we are paying is spending this money on the 7 heads of zakat?

Ahmad Shoaib replied 3 years ago 5 Members · 13 Replies
  • 13 Replies
  • Zakat Heads And Tax

Ahmad Shoaib updated 3 years ago 5 Members · 13 Replies
  • Rafia Khawaja

Member September 5, 2020 at 1:29 pm

Please see Dr Shehzad Saleem’s videos on Zakat. They are brilliant and explained very clearly.

• $ohail T@hir

Moderator September 5, 2020 at 1:49 pm

pls. see this Discussion 1096

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 6, 2020 at 9:32 am

So am I correct in saying my responsibility ended after I payed this tax. If there was no government I wouldn’t pay zakat?

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 6, 2020 at 9:33 am
    • Umer

Moderator September 6, 2020 at 9:56 am

Zakat is primarily right of the state but in addition to that, it is an obligatory ibadah as well. Therefore, even in the absence of state, you would still be liable to pay zakat if you’ve crossed the threshold of Nisab.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 6, 2020 at 10:35 am

So if it is our obligation shouldn’t we make sure the state is spending on the 7 heads and if they’re not just spend it ourself?

• Rafia Khawaja

Member September 6, 2020 at 5:16 pm

You can pay the Zakah yourself if you don’t want to give it to the State. Many people in our part of the World feel very apprehensive about whether their Zakah is spent in the correct way by the State and prefer to give it to any needy persons or hospitals or any other worthy cause

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 6, 2020 at 5:18 pm

That’s what I’m asking. Then zakat should not be fulfilled by tax in the case that the government is not spending on the 7 heads

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor April 12, 2021 at 4:26 pm

‘That’s what I’m asking. Then zakat should not be fulfilled by tax in the case that the government is not spending on the 7 heads’

Is this statement correct?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator April 12, 2021 at 4:38 pm

To my knowledge taxes in all countries serve one or more of these heads in varying degrees. They help the poor and the needy (e.g. medical and food assistance programs), pay salaries of the state employees, help people with economic losses (e.g. disaster relief), help travelers (roads, rest areas, etc.), and welfare of the citizens (schools, libraries, parks, etc.)

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor April 12, 2021 at 4:39 pm

But much of it is used in defence and also to pay off national debt as well.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator April 12, 2021 at 4:39 pm

That’s also considered welfare of the citizens.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor April 12, 2021 at 4:40 pm

Right I see how that could work. For national debt perhaps one could argue to shift the current account could be seen as a way to simulate the flow of money in the economy and lead to potential benefits for its citizens

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register