Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Islamic Sharia Persistence In Eating Halal Food

• Persistence In Eating Halal Food

Posted by Ali Ali on September 6, 2020 at 9:39 am

It’s been 8 years since I left Pakistan and moving around various non-muslim countries for the sake of studies and jobs. So far, I have always been persistent and strived for eating halal food. It is very tough to stay in groups of non-Muslims and yet avoid non-halal food. Moreover, I have canceled and avoided a lot of gatherings such as dinners and BBQ, etc just to not feel ashamed and force others to change their diet just because of me. At starts it was okay, but in recent years where the social gatherings are kind of parts of our jobs it has been tough, and the feelings of being judged and cut off from colleagues and sports club members are getting dominating. During the course of my whole stay, I have seen many of my country fellow Muslims drifting to go for non-halal food (except pork and a few other things such as drinking, etc). Also, many of my non-muslim colleagues been pushing me by giving examples of some other Muslims eating non-halal food with them and then questioning me for not eating. It is always tough to explain to them why some Muslims can eat with them and why I can’t. A year back, I have met a girl who was non-muslim and converted to be a Muslim before marrying me. And now things have been even tougher. When we are together, we both strive to find halal food, but, however, when my wife is with her parents and relatives I have never pushed her to stick to halal food although she has already given up on pork and alcohol, etc. Things get more awkward when I have to meet their family and relatives, it’s hard to explain it in words in here.

Should I really have to force my wife to even go for Halal food when she is with their own parents, relatives, friends, and colleagues? It is very much impossible for her to go for halal food suddenly like I have been doing for the last 10 years.

Also, while traveling, it’s very much impossible to find halal food (even vegetarian food) at the remote places and the only option could be to go for non-halal food.

I am not looking for a way out for eating non-halal food but I just want to know other opinions and thoughts on these kinds of situations.

Rafia Khawaja replied 3 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Persistence In Eating Halal Food

Rafia Khawaja updated 3 years, 8 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator September 6, 2020 at 10:24 am

The main problem arises when we fail to communicate to Non-Muslims why we Muslims have such dietary requirements, because most of the times even we Muslims do not know why are we adhering to these requirements to begin with. Therefore, we fail to communicate the real reason as to why we do that and in return, Non-Muslim friends and colleagues stay confused from their end as well.

I think instead of forcing your wife into adhering to only halal meat, you should remind her and yourself also of the fact that why are there dietary requirements in Islam, what are those, what objective do they achieve and how do their objective correlate with the overall objective of the religion. You’re requested to please spend some time in studying Islam’s dietary laws and their objective by referring to the following thread:

Discussion 1641

To address the situation as to how to deal with the situation surrounding your Non-Muslim friends and colleagues, hopefully the following comments of Ghamidi Sahab will add some insight. Please refer to the video below from 1:49:24 to 1:53:16

https://youtu.be/MqtchVwUdfE?t=6564

• Shabbir Ahmed

Member September 6, 2020 at 11:32 am

I can speak regarding the Halal chicken available in the Tristate USA Halal Meat shops is not Halal at all. Machines do all the work at Slaughter houses. Some have recordings being played of Takbir. In the name of Halal these stores sell the lowest quality of mutton, chicken and beef for very high price.

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 6, 2020 at 12:47 pm

There are two things to consider when we talk about halal: tazkiya (draining of blood) and tasmiya (reciting Allah’s name at the time of slaughtering an animal). In Ghamidi sahab’s view both are absolute requirements. However, in Imam Shafi’s view, tasmiya is a sunnah but not a requirement. This is why we see so many people who follow the Shafi madhab call any meat halal unless it’s that of swine or another haram animal.

One should do their own research on this matter and accept the opinion that they find more credible on the basis of provided arguments. In any case we should refrain from compelling others to follow our understanding. If we understand something different than the others, we should lay out our arguments in front of them and let them decide on their own. Similarly, if someone provides us with their arguments that are against our understanding, we should listen to them with an open mind and accept them if we find them credible.

• Shabbir Ahmed

Member September 7, 2020 at 9:44 am

Thank you.

• Rafia Khawaja

Member September 7, 2020 at 1:00 pm

There are some scholars whose understanding I’m quoting below

Quranic verse 5:5 all clean things have been made lawful to you. The food of people of Book is permitted to you and your food is permitted to them.

Chapter 6:146 states forbidden for you are dead, flesh of swine, blood and animal slaughtered in any name other than God. Qur’an states nothing is haram besides these.

Qur’an itself does not state that eating halal meat is a requirement.

I think we should listen to both sides of the arguements and do credible research and follow the understanding that convinces you the most without imposing your understanding on others

• Rafia Khawaja

Member September 7, 2020 at 1:03 pm

Is slaughtering by machines and playing the takbeer permissible ?

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register