Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Sources of Islam Prostration Of Respect

• Prostration Of Respect

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on September 11, 2020 at 9:03 am

Can we prostrate for respect like it was done with yusuf عليه السلام and the angels to Adam عليه السلام

Umer replied 3 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • Prostration Of Respect

Umer updated 3 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 15 Replies
  • Umer

Moderator September 11, 2020 at 12:29 pm

Then when these people came over to Joseph, he gave his parents a special place near him and said: “Stay in Egypt, if God wills, with peace.” [After reaching his house,] he made his parents sit on the throne and everyone bowed before him in prostration.[122] Joseph said: “Father! This is the interpretation of my dream that I saw earlier. My Lord made it a reality. He has been very gracious to me when He took me out of the prison and brought all of you here from the village even though Satan had spread mischief between me and my brothers. In reality, whatever my Lord desires, He creates very subtle means for it. Indeed, He alone is knowledgeable and wise.” (12:99-100)

(Excerpt from Quranic Exegesis: Javed Ahmed Ghamidi)

(Translated by Dr. Shehzad Saleem)

[122] Prostration here does not refer to the one which is done before God; it refers to bending down in the form of kneeling. Showing respect for elders in this manner is a very ancient tradition. In Arabic, the word سَجَدَ is commonly used in this meaning. It is specified by the Bible and the Talmud that the ceremonial prostration was also prohibited in the shariah of the Israelites the way it is in ours. How did the incident mentioned here take place? Imam Amin Ahsan Islahi writes:

Joseph (sws) shared his throne with his parents as a mark of respect. The rest of the people must have sat where common people generally sit. It seems that after this Joseph (sws) appeared and as was the custom his courtiers and attendees bowed before him in respect. Such was the aura created that these people too spontaneously bowed in respect. (Amin Ahsan Islahi, Tadabbur-i Qur’an, vol. 4, 254)

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 11, 2020 at 12:31 pm

Where was it prohibited in our shariah?

If the ceremonial prostration that is kneeling was prohibited why did Joseph عليه السلام Brothers (Israelites) do it?

What about Adam عليه السلام ?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 11, 2020 at 1:15 pm

What Umer is pointing out above is that ceremonial prostration/kneeling is not prohibited.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 11, 2020 at 3:27 pm

‘ It is specified by the Bible and the Talmud that the ceremonial prostration was also prohibited in the shariah of the Israelites the way it is in ours.’

I thought because of this.

What about proper sujood. Is that prohibited? If so where? Did the angels do the ceremonial sujood or the one we do?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 11, 2020 at 4:22 pm

Talmud is not sharia. I’m not sure what part of the Bible are you referring to and whether it’s the word of God or human since Bible is a collection of both. But regardless, when the Quran talks about such prostration in the story of Yusuf/Joseph AS, it would have prohibited it right there if it needed to or at least would have stated it in a tone that would convey the disapproval of God for such practice.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 11, 2020 at 4:28 pm

I just copy pasted from Ghamidi sahab’s quotation above.

I am a bit confused. Yusuf AS was ceremonially prostrated to- so was Adam AS I guess (kneeled to).

Where is the evidence that full-out sujood of respect is prohibited in our sharia? If I understood correcly- the ceremonial kneeling is allowed

• Umer

Moderator September 12, 2020 at 7:30 am

In my understanding it was not a ritual prostration / ceremonial prostration/ ‘istalahi sajda’ in either of these cases (the one we do in salah). It was a kneeling of respect in the form of ‘ruku-like’ which was quite prevalent in ancient traditions. Ritual prostration / ceremonial prostration/ ‘istalahi sajda’ has had been in prohibition since the times of Bani-Israel as far as the history goes. However, the word سَجَدَ is commonly used for this out of respect kneeling (ruku-like) in classic Arabic as well. Even this kind of kneeling has been prohibited on grounds of sadd-e-zariya.

For further insight, you can refer to he following video from 22:22 onward:

https://youtu.be/zcBitN5JYAg?t=1342

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 12, 2020 at 7:40 am

Wasn’t yusuf عليه السلام part of bani israel? Does that mean it was prohibited after him?

• Umer

Moderator September 12, 2020 at 8:00 am

Two kinds of prostration are being conflated here, please read my comment again.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 12, 2020 at 8:02 am

Yes, the kneeling was also prohibited in bani israel as a sadd e zaria. But yusuf AS was a part of bani israel- so wasn’t this kneeling prohibted?

• Umer

Moderator September 12, 2020 at 8:03 am

sajda was prohibited, kneeling was not.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 12, 2020 at 8:09 am

Sorry for my confusion.

‘However, the word سَجَدَ is commonly used for this out of respect kneeling (ruku-like) in classic Arabic as well. Even this kind of kneeling has been prohibited on grounds of sadd-e-zariya.

This is what I was referring to

• Umer

Moderator September 12, 2020 at 8:14 am

This was with reference to our Shariat. Everything that gives a prostration-like semblance has been prohibited on grounds of Sadd-e-Zariya.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 12, 2020 at 8:15 am

Where was this prohibition stipulated?

• Umer

Moderator September 12, 2020 at 8:30 am

It is stipulated in Quran that prostration is for Allah only (e.g see Quran 41:37) and is complemented by ijma of ummah and ijma of their ‘ilm‘ (academic history) that Prophet Muhammad (Sws) forbade it explicitly.

The discussion "Prostration Of Respect" is closed to new replies.

Start of Discussion
0 of 0 replies June 2018
Now