Ask Ghamidi

A Community Driven Discussion Portal
To Ask, Answer, Share And Learn

Forums Forums Epistemology and Philosophy Is There Really One Fitrah?

Tagged: ,

• Is There Really One Fitrah?

Posted by Ahmad Shoaib on September 11, 2020 at 5:31 pm

Why couldn’t the fitrah change? When a human does something out of the norm it is apparently against the fitrah? So what? The fitrah is just what most humans thought they should be doing. How does it make what they were doing reasonable or logical?

Ahmad Shoaib replied 3 years, 7 months ago 2 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • Is There Really One Fitrah?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 11, 2020 at 10:21 pm

Ghamidi sahab has already explained this in one of these videos:

Discussion 30094

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 12, 2020 at 8:06 am

I have watched the videos. But Ghamidi sahab is making a big claim. He is arguing that all life forms that possess will have a way of enacting it in a certain way.

EG a toy plane- its fitrah is, when you press the button it flies

EG a human- when it gets dirty it wants to clean itself.

But the problem with the second example is humans are not a pile of lifeless matter. The human may not clean himself for many reasons. Why is the conflation being made that a human is basically just an input process output machine?

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 12, 2020 at 1:47 pm

I agree that humans may not clean themselves for various reasons. But that’s not the point. The point is that all sound minded humans under normal circumstances like cleanliness and dislike filth. That information is pre-programmed within humans, and regardless of time and space it remains constant. This knowledge is a-priori – meaning that it’s independent of any human experiences.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 12, 2020 at 1:53 pm

Sure, that is true.

But dirtiness and cleanliness is subjective. You say it is regardless of time and space. But the designation of what is ‘dirty’ and ‘clean’ seems to be linked with what is harmful and what is fine. So an equally plausible explanation could be we find EG excretion repulsive because it has bacteria. Just because we may not know the reason for everything doesn’t means it doesn’t exist.

I think to counteract my point you could say this development is not due to some blind process- but was in the phase of ‘perfecting’ the humanoid creatures. There is no way to prove wether this dislike was a priori or though evolution

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 12, 2020 at 2:05 pm

Of course we can’t know with absolute certainty, however, armed with the knowledge of our own experiences as well as in the absence of any evidence that at some point in history humans used to like filth and dirt, we can conclude that our likeness for cleanliness is a-priori. In the real world there are no such things as proofs – we have to base our knowledge and actions upon inferences we draw from available evidences. The subjectivity of how clean is clean enough is an issue of application of our a-priori knowledge, and I agree that there can be differences on that amongst humans.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 12, 2020 at 2:08 pm

So why is the evidence from evolution wrong? It is a prehistoric theory with no way to prove it. What you call a priori other people simply call transmission of evolutionary data through genes.

‘absence of any evidence that at some point in history humans used to like filth and dirt’

absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Especially when it comes to theories like this

• Faisal Haroon

Moderator September 12, 2020 at 2:35 pm

As I said, in the real world, there are no such things as proofs – there are only evidences. Also I did not base my argument for fitrah purely on the absence of evidence. Theory of evolution is a different topic – I do find some credible evidence in it’s favor, but that has nothing to do with the existence of fitrah.

• Ahmad Shoaib

Contributor September 12, 2020 at 4:00 pm

They simply call what we refer to as a God given guidance as a developed genetic code. The main diffference being we say it was a priori, and they say it developed through evolution. For example, we liked to eat meat- so we love looking at cute little animals. We like intricate designs as it meant our mate would have good motor skills, and the ability to make good decisions

You must be logged in to reply.
Login | Register